Chapter 21: Who's Treat

There were a few weeks till Karasuno would compete in the national volleyball tournament for the first time in many years. As the days progressed, Yachi and Hinata would spend time together in between classes and for a few hours together after practice. The wait till nationals was exhausting. Everyone on the team was experimenting with new playing styles. Tanaka had switched over from an overhand serve to a jump serve, Asahi was attempting to delay his swing until the blockers in front of him were dropping, Kinoshita was practicing his jump float serve (although he never expected to put it to use), Nishinoya was polishing his overhand receives, and Hinata was thinking of ways to evolve once more. The lunch bell rung and Hinata walked with his bento box to Yachi's classroom. As she waited for Hinata to arrive she sketched a draft for another poster that would advertise the team's progress.

"Another poster idea Yachi-chan?"

"Nakamura-chan hi! Oh yeah... why?"

"That's like the fifth one you've sketched, was the other one not doing so well? I liked it."

"No it's um... as cool as the posters look, I always think I can do better you know? Like I can somehow top my best work with something far greater."

"Competing with yourself? Wow... that's..."

"Pathetic?"

"No... admirable really... you're always trying to do better than your best, that's cool..." Nakamura laughed and sat down at the seat next to Yachi "I have to say, you are completely different from when I first met you in March."

"Hm? How so?" Yachi asked as she put down her pencil

"Well I mean... ever since you joined the volleyball club you've become more sure of yourself. And not only that you've got yourself a cute boyfriend now!"

Ah boyfriend she thought, "we um... haven't put any labels on our relationship so I don't want to call him that unless he tells me to or he's ready. You know he could find someone better..."

Nakamura sighed "Ok so maybe you're not completely different than before but progress is progress I guess. How's it going with you two by the way?"

Yachi smiled "well because everyone is so excited for nationals that practices go on longer than it did before so there's that... but we've been going over to my place after practice a lot, and my mom likes him... sometimes he stays late after studying so we end up watching a movie." She scratched her ear in a flustered manner "But we haven't been able to go out for a date since the first time...it sure would be nice to go back to that restaurant from our first date. The owner was nice and the food was pretty good."

"Maybe you should ask him to take you there sometime soon." Nakamura suggested "Treat yourself! I'm sure he wouldn't mind, you told me the boy eats like six meals a day, I think he would be on board to go to eat there." Nakamura looked toward the door frame and heard a voice humming a melody in the distance "speaking of whom..."

"Hitoka! Sorry I'm late, I wanted to ask Ono Sensei about her lesson." Hinata said popping his head through the door "Oh hey Nakamura-San what's up?"

"Nothing much Hinata... I'll leave you two to your business." Nakamura said getting up

"You sure? You want to join us? It's cool if you join." Hinata said walking over

"No it's fine, just enjoy yourselves... Yachi-chan I'll see you later." She said winking as she smiled and left

Hinata waved Nakamura off and and walked toward Yachi and placed a kiss on her head, he looked over her head and saw her newest poster draft "oh cool another poster!"