Chapter 18: Higher and Further

Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa Final Set
— —
— —

Now more than ever Hinata needed to keep going. Tsukishima was back on the court and already doing his best to stop the other team from getting through despite his dislocated finger.

"One TOUCH!"

"FREE BALL!"

There's no... other choice... but to... attack!

Hinata approached from the back and jumped for a minus tempo back attack

"GO!" Tsukishima shouted at Hinata. Now even the most bitter and cold of them was showing how much he wanted to go to Tokyo and for once how much he believed in his teammates.

Hinata swung his arm and the ball hit Kawanishi's forearm as it started to dropped to the floor, quickly Ushijima saved the ball and sent it to Shirabu

"Shirabu!"

The second year setter watched as the ever fired up Ushijima called for the toss and he quickly set a high toss for him to blast.

"A straight!" Tsukishima called out as he and Asahi jumped to stop him but were a second late. Hinata jumped in the way and took the hit to the face again sending him on his back

"Hinata!" Yachi shouted in fear and shock as his body dropped to the floor.
Damn it that hurts
Hinata could taste the blood in his mouth from hit he took to the face. But that didn't mean he could focus on that. Somehow throughout all that excitement he heard that voice, her voice call his name out in worry and he wasn't about to stay on the floor and worry her some more. Hinata got up as Tanaka saved the ball

"Hinata are you ok?"

"Yeah!"
Keep going! Keep fighting Shoyo Hinata! Do it for Karasuno! Do it for Tokyo! Do it for Hitoka!

The ball flew toward Shiratorizawa's side as Yamagata saves the ball sending it to Shirabu

"I got it!" Shirabu shouted and again noticed Ushijima fired up and sent the ball his way "Ushijima-san!"

"Follow!" Goshiki called as he moved to cover Ushijima should the spike somehow not make it through

Tsukishima immediately saw the toss and called for Daichi and Asahi "we're gonna stop him!" As they prepared to stop Ushijima's straight shot they could not have timed their block perfectly as it perfectly lined up with Ushijima's dominant arm for spiking.
Ushijima jumped and saw the blockers in from of him, in a split second and in pure frustration and fatigue he quickly changed the direction of the spike from a straight to a cross shot. Kageyama thinking quickly received the ball as it came barreling toward him like a cannon ball.

Even when his form was crumbling...
...He switched from a straight to a cross!

The show of force and skill made Hinata and Tsukishima feel the pressure even more so, as if Ushijima was holding their heads down forcefully with the weight ever so heavy crushing them. But volleyball is a team sport, and when there's something weighing you down, the team will help carry the weight. Daichi flew in and saved the ball
"Asahi! Get the last!"
Karasuno's ace jumped and smashed the ball getting caught in the block sending the ball flying to the end line of the court, Tanaka being the reliable upperclassman saved the ball to restart the rally
"Free ball!"

Kageyama moved toward his position and prepared to set the ball while the team on the other side of the net prepared for Hinata to hit a freak quick again, but to their surprise he wasn't moving ahead of the others. Hinata took a deep breath, and thought for a moment and made his approach. As all of Karasuno approached the ball Hinata matched their speed and caused Shiratorizawa to panic as they could not predict who the toss was coming to now. Kageyama noticed the tactical decision Hinata made and gasped as he made his choice. As the crows flew toward the toss Kageyama sent the ball to Hinata. He focused all his remaining strength and energy into his right arm and hit the ball, Yamagata dived to save the ball but was too late as it ricocheted off his arms and flew toward the end of the court, Leon dived to save the ball but couldn't reach it in time. As Hinata landed he watched the ball drop to the floor with his team and with everyone in the stadium. The ball landed on the floorboards and rolled away and the whole stadium went silent. All that could be heard was the collective heavy breath of the players, and as the whistle blew the match was over. The crowd went crazy for Karasuno, for the first time in years Karasuno was going to Nationals, tears of surprise and happiness were shed by Karasuno, the third years in total shock held each other close and cried their hearts out, they made it to nationals after fighting for so long. Even Shimizu cried in happiness. Akiteru shouted his brother's name in pride as the team piled on the first year starters and cheered in victory.