Chapter 27: Return of the Young Crows

Shiratorizawa First Year Rookie Training Camp Final Day

— —
— —

The schedule for the last day had changed a bit due to Coach Saito getting sick from a raw oyster the day before, as an alternative the veterans of Shiratorizawa had agreed to play one more practice game with the rookies. Now that Hinata was keen on observing the court like he was writing detailed notes in a book for later reference, he had no problem approaching everyone for tips and tricks, especially the players at Shiratorizawa who he once had the right to fear. In fact his fear of Ushijima, Tendou, and Semi were forgotten as they all were more than willing to engage in conversation with them. Ushijima would outline his mindset when receiving, Shirabu would explain the best steps to completing an emergency set, Tendou however scared Hinata as he basically sung his song on how to break people's spirits with blocks. A concept that Tsukishima found very appealing. Semi happily explained his process when learning to jump serve. As the practice match ended and the veterans were unsurprisingly victorious, and Coach Anabara gave his concluding speech, the players packed up their things and headed out. As Hinata and Tsukishima walked out Tendou and Semi watched as Karasuno's number 10 pranced to the exit much to Tsukishima's dismay.

"You know Tendou, I thought that you and that Hinata were the same type of monster."

"Huh?! What're you telling me this for?"

"But now, I think he was always more dangerous than you."

"Hmph I doubt it!"

"I mean his hunger... his appetite for more volleyball is unmatched. That kid won't stop till he wins it all."

"You know Semi-Semi, I think I'm rooting for him now too."

"Shoyo Hinata... This training camp was beneficial for him without him even being a player on the court." Ushijima said behind them
The third years looked onward as Hinata left the building.

As the rookies talked outside it was clear that training camp created a bond between them all, and for next year's tournament their inevitable game against each other would mean more to all of them. As Kindaichi waved Karasuno goodbye Tsukishima and Hinata walked to the exit of the academy together.

"That was a fun training camp!" Hinata shouted in glee

"You weren't even invited, and you were just a ball boy." Tsukishima said plainly

"Hey I still learned some new things! And you don't have to keep reminding me that fact every time!"

"You better get used to it, because all of them are going to keep recalling that little fact. And I'm talking both our team and the players who were invited here."

"Grrr... fine."

"You know tomorrow will be the first time you'll see Yachi after that argument last week."

"You just keep the hurt coming at me don't ya Stingyshima?"

"You going to be okay with that?" Tsukishima said stopping at the bike rack

Hinata unlocked his padlock and paused to think "she was always my friend first. So it's bot like I'm gonna be a jerk about it. I'll just... focus on practice."

Tsukishima scoffed at Hinata's positivity but couldn't find any reason to argue. In fact it was a mature response for that type of situation.

"Well then... I guess we'll see tomorrow." Tsukishima said as he picked up Hinata's bike from the rack and placed on the ground for Hinata. "See you tomorrow."

"Yup! See ya Tsukki-Poo!"

"No."

"I know I'm just messing with you! We'll build up to it!" He said as he began peddling away

"No we won't."

"What?? I can't hear you I'm already too far away!" Hinata said peddling faster

— —
— —

Monday Morning Practice

— —
— —

Yachi woke up and got her day started with an mysterious eagerness. Throughout her bus ride she couldn't pinpoint the reason why she was excited, it was just a regular practice on a cold winter morning. She walked to the girl's change room and met Shimizu there.

"Hitoka-chan, it's been a while since I've seen you this excited." Shimizu said zipping up her club jacket

"Yeah... I don't know why though. My bus ride was pretty bumpy and I woke up wrong."

"Could it be perhaps because Hinata is back from the training camp?"

That's when Yachi realized it, her reason for her attitude that morning. Although she felt as if she shouldn't be that positive considering how they left things the last time they saw each other.

"I... don't think I should be like this-"

"No you should. It doesn't matter what happened, what matters is your feelings." Shimizu said "Come on, I'm pretty sure everyone is in the gym now."

The two managers made their way to the gym doors and heard the commotion inside, as they entered they saw the team back together, the three first years who had been away for so long had returned and everyone was piling on them. Shimizu sighed as Kageyama and Hinata had once again began to argue.

"Somehow their fighting puts me at ease." Shimizu said as Yachi giggled in agreement. As Yachi giggled she looked around the room until her gaze met with Hinata's. She started to panic

What if he hates me? I said all those hurtful things to him! He must feel awful being here now!

As she spiraled out of control Hinata waved and flashed a smile surprising Yachi. Yachi sighed in relief and realized Hinata wouldn't make a fit because that wasn't his nature, his nature was to smile and make others smile.

As practice started and everyone warmed up Daichi called the shots "Serving Drills! Let's go!"

Shimizu handed over the green tape to Yachi who dragged a chair to the net to set up. As she began to tape the net she heard footsteps walking toward her. Turning around she gulped in nervousness as Hinata stood in front of her crossing his arms

"Hey..."