Chapter 38: Tricky Foxes

Karasuno vs Inarizaki Second Set
— —
— —

The second set was filled with intensity on both sides, Inarizaki pushed back hard after losing the first set. Through the twins firstly, but also through Ojiro and Suna's unique attacks that even Tsukishima's blocks couldn't stop. As Riseki came up to serve in a pinch his nerves were getting to him as he felt insecure compared to the individual power of his upperclassmen's skills.

I spent all three years of middle school on the bench. The one time I came on as a pinch server, I messed up my serve and that was it.

I need like some good motivation... there's no real way I can be better than anyone on the court right now so that might not work... Riseki looked around and saw a blonde girl holding her hands together tightly in a black track jacket. Hey... that cute girl from earlier... I mean... I guess I could score to impress her? Nah... from what I've seen so far she's pretty into that freaky fast #10... still motivation is motivation I guess... he thought with weak resolve. There's no point if I miss. He thought I'm getting it in there

Riseki jumped and hit the ball with half his power only to add insurance that he'd make the serve in. Asahi quickly dug the ball with ease and sent it to Kageyama who quickly sent the ball to Hinata who quickly ended the rally with his spike. The weak resolve of Riseki was noticed by everyone, even Inarizaki's cheer squad disapproved and booed him as he went back to the bench.

"You always overthink these things." A fellow first year told him

Kita sighed "We don't need a guy who just gets the serve over on our team." He said in a pale tone "Whether we're in the lead or not."

To the foxes this was basically Kita scolding you while also being kind somehow.

"What was it this time?" Kosaku asked "what was your halfhearted motivation for making the serve this time?"

"I uh..." Riseki hesitated as he looked to Karasuno's side and caught a glimpse of Yachi clapping for her team.
"You're serious?" Kosaku laughed "the little manager for Karasuno? What, did you just fall in love at first sight with her?"

"No!" Riseki said "I mean... she's cute... and yknow I thought that some guys look good for the girls so... I don't know this girl could be impressed."

"Not by the way you're acting... for any girl for that matter. You want any girl to turn their head to you... give them something to look at, those half assed serves won't cut it."

Riseki sighed "Yeah ok."

On Karasuno's side players were easing into the match. Tanaka was starting to get into a groove, Asahi was showing why he's Karasuno's ace, and "Kalm Kageyama" as Hinata called him had debuted during the match scoring multiple service aces. However some players weren't doing as well, chief among them being Nishinoya who's weaknesses were being exploited every time Atsumu served. However his team had his back as whenever Inarizaki hit their libero, they'd hit back harder. Osamu went up to serve his toss drifted and he put too much power causing a home run serve hitting the scoreboard freaking out Yachi.

Ah! She screamed in her head Was he aiming for me?! Is this another tactic they use?! Kill their opponents?! She looked at Hinata who looked concerned for her well-being. He reached his hand out and fluttered it up and down as she heard his reassurance somehow, his voice talking to her in his head "Calm down, calm down... it's just cuz we're making them nervous! We're winning!"

Yachi sighed with relief. She was calm for a moment. But the whistle blew for a substitution as the captain of Inarizaki was being subbed into the match for their ace. A tactic to give the ace some rest so he could have some stamina for the next set. Kita's skills were a mystery as he had never been put in a match throughout his high school career... until now. Although his skills weren't exactly notable his extensive time off the court made him dangerous as he like Sugawara had been constantly observing everything going on. His observations put his teammates in check as he reset their overall mood. In the blink of an eye Inarizaki took the second set. As with any match, the third set served as utmost importance, a tie breaker in a best of three. But for Karasuno, this third and final set of the match would create revelations that would change everything for them.

 But for Karasuno, this third and final set of the match would create revelations that would change everything for them