Chapter 3: A Sleepless Night

As Hinata biked home he took in the night air and thought to himself on everything that happened today.
"Everyone today kept talking about me and Yachi. They're stupid, Tsukishima is just a jerk! Right? Wait mom said the same thing earlier! Oh crap maybe everyone's right! Ahhh"

Hinata gets home and quickly pulls out his phone and calls Yamaguchi

"Yamaguchi! I need your help"

"Hey Hinata what's up?"

"How do I know if I like Yachi? Like how do I know for sure?"

"Eh well I guess it's just a gut feeling Hinata." The freckled boy said over the phone

"But my gut tells me I'm hungry! What does that mean?"

"That you should eat Hinata. And that's your stomach talking, I'm talking about your heart"

"My heart?"

"When you think of Yachi-San what are you thinking?"
Hinata thinks hard and in his mind he sees Yachi standing timidly, he sees her shiny blonde hair, her cool side ponytail, her pretty hazel eyes, her amazing smile, the cute way she gets embarrassed whenever he compliments her

"Ah... well I guess when I think of her I see how pretty she is and how I like to spend time with her, and how I want to spend more time with her. And how She is one of the best things about school besides volleyball. What does that mean Yamaguchi?"

"Eh well I guess you have your answer Hinata"

"What's the answer?"

"Sigh, Hinata you said it yourself you want to spend more time with her, you think she's pretty. You're not wrong of course, but you said aside from volleyball she makes you happy. That means you definitely like her, and you want to be more than friends"

"Wow ok. So what do I do?"

"Maybe tell her?"

"Wahhh that's too hard! I can't just tell her out of nowhere!"

"Well I guess you just tell her when the time is right. But don't overthink it or you'll be as bad as our first practice match with Seijoh"

"What if I plan to tell her... after we beat Ushiwaka? Cuz we'll be winners right? So I'll feel great and want to keep that feeling going!"

"You could do that and it sound pretty good but sometimes it's best to do things spontaneously, so that you're living in the moment and not freaking out before then. Just something to think about"

"So you're saying I should just go with the flow?"

"Maybe, but you're a confident guy I'm sure you'll do fine either way."

"Thanks Yamaguchi! I was thinking of asking Kageyama or Tsukishima but they would've been no help, and I can't ask Yachi of course"

"Yeah Tsukki wouldn't want to help you anyways, but maybe ask Daichi or Sugarawa too? They'd probably help better than me"

"I think I will, Sugarawa helped a little bit today anyways so I'll ask tomorrow during school."

"Sounds great let me know how it goes"

"Thanks Yamaguchi you're a great help! See you tomorrow at morning practice!"

Hinata hangs up and goes to his backyard to practice volleyball for a few minutes. Soon after he comes out of the shower freshly cleaned and ready for bed he gets a text

"Hinata-kun my mom said I can go to your place for dinner tomorrow"

Hinata jumps on his bed smiling like a kid in a candy store

"Awesome! What dish do you want? For dessert or dinner?"

"Um maybe for dessert, I really like Hanami Dango if that's ok?"

"WOW we love that too! We'll get right on it! Now I'm even more excited!"

"I am too Hinata-kun! Good night!"

"Goodnight!"

Hinata does a small dance and runs to tell his mom to make Yachi's request tomorrow

He goes to bed and tries to sleep. But he can't no matter how hard he tries. Hinata can't get Yachi off his mind. Two AM goes by with Hinata thinking of Yachi, then four AM with Hinata imagining himself being with Yachi. Then his alarm went off with Hinata getting zero sleep. He lies on his bed with his alarm still ringing

"Ah well, Yachi-san guess I really really like you then, huh?"
Hinata said to himself aloud

"Ah well, Yachi-san guess I really really like you then, huh?" Hinata said to himself aloud