Chapter 39: The Ultimate Attackers

Karasuno vs Inarizaki Final Set
— —
— —

Osamu approached the end line and hit his serve toss as it came flying toward Daichi. The captain slid his left leg behind him and crouched to dig the ball. Kageyama prepared to toss as the players on the court prepared to hit. There was only one word to describe what Karasuno was feeling: panic. A desperate craving for a point to break the flow of Inarizaki, all players jumped to spike, Asahi came in from the back and winded up his arm and focused as much power as he had left in him. But Atsumu's reaction time was impeccable as he quickly stopped the ball. However polished his instincts were, he miscalculated his jump and grazed the net slightly giving the point to Karasuno. Daichi pulled his team together "Lucky!" He shouted as he snapped them back to a better mindset, as quickly as he brought their mindset back it was quickly challenged by Inarizaki's cheer squad as they played their trumpeting symphony to get into Karasuno's heads. The team groaned as the music was getting to them, the point gap was enough to make them nervous as Karasuno crossed their fingers and put their faith in one player who managed to always turn the tide; Hinata.

"Get out there Shoyo!" Nishinoya shouted subbing out as Hinata ran into the court.

Hinata do something! Anything! Takinoue begged in his mind

"Hinata..." Yachi said aloud holding her hands together tightly Shoyo make sure we stay in this tournament! I know you can!

Hinata took a deep breath and stood in front of the net
"Oi." Kageyama called out beside him "Was it worth it?"

"Was what worth it?" Hinata asked with his eyes still glued to the net

"All that trouble you got into when you went to Shiratorizawa. With the team, with Yachi-san. Was it worth it?"

Hinata stood there silent not responding

"Because if it was... now's the time to show it."

The whistle blew as the rally started quickly going back and forth until Ojiro hit off the block and got the point. Hinata gritted his teeth, We need one point. One point

Inarizaki served and it went straight to Karasuno

"Hinata!" Daichi shouted

Hinata sped toward the net and jumped
Come on! He shouted internally and slammed the ball across the court getting the point giving Kageyama the opportunity to serve along with giving Karasuno their strongest rotation for attacking but Inarizaki wouldn't just give them the point and prepared their strongest defence. As Akagi dug the ball and sent it toward the net Atsumu used the hunger Karasuno felt for a point against them and manipulated the blockers. He faked a dump and let Hinata stuff the ball prematurely giving Inarizaki the point. In volleyball if the setter is intent on tossing and is stuffed before touching  the ball the point goes to the setter's team. A rare rule violation but a violation he knew would work in his favor. Atsumu served the ball and smashed it toward Karasuno, they dug the ball and sent it back to Inarizaki's side. Ginjima moved to spike where Tsukishima was waiting for him to block the hit. The ball was deflected as it soared for Akagi, Atsumu ran under the ball to make a set on the first touch as he sent the ball to his brother, Osamu moved to spike but changed his course to set the ball to avoid Tsukishima. Osamu sent the ball to Ojiro who moved to smash it. Hinata took a deep breath as he moved parallel to the court line. His eyes glowed as he saw the ball in the air and Ojiro winding his arm to hit a hard spike. He moved with determination. In his head he looked back on the previous weeks and the trials he faced, the things he'd learned and the words he'd taken to heart.

"...you never needed luck to be where you are now."

"What the hell do you think you're doing Hinata?!"