Chapter 25: The New Dawn

Shiratorizawa First Year Rookie Training Camp Second Day

— —
— —

"Tsukishima I'm so-"

"Ew. I'll say it again, don't apologize to me you annoying midget." Tsukishima said with scorn

Hinata's head dropped as he walked away in self loathing

Ah shit I forgot I was supposed to be "nice" and comforting to him...baby steps I guess

As Hinata worked in his gloom, his shroud of sadness and heartbreak observed by many. Most people believed his downed spirit was the result of his inability to play volleyball with the rest of the rookie first years, the real reason being the recent heart wrenching revelations of Yachi's true thoughts on Hinata's actions, of course the inability to play volleyball didn't help. His only known coping mechanism was not an option which left him to reflect on his actions and its consequences. As the hours passed he leaned more into quitting his role as ball boy and heading back to his team practice. As he kept score for the practice game between the rookies and the Shiratorizawa veterans he remembered the familiar feeling of being unable to play on the court in his middle school days.

Maybe I should go back, it's obvious mean old Coach Washijo doesn't want me here and I probably caused an inconvenience for-

"So...Why aren't you out there playing?" A voice on his left asked

Hinata swallowed the air and turned to realize the familiar voice was that of Tendou Satori, the third year expert middle blocker for Shiratorizawa; the Guess Monster

"Ah... um... I wasn't actually chosen to be here..." he said in fear and embarrassment. In their last encounter the Guess Monster swore to break Hinata's spirit with his blocks, of course Tendou would be out for revenge after losing his chance to go to nationals for the last time. At least so Hinata thought

"Huh?! Then why the heck are you here?"

"I-I crashed their practice." Hinata said embarrassingly

"You crashed- BWAHAHAHAHA" Tendou laughed hysterically "you hear that Wakatoshi-kun?! He crashed their practice! This kids totally crazy!"

Ushijima turned toward the two middle blockers conversing with his scary deadpan look as he finished hydrating himself "So... What are you even doing?" He asked in all seriousness

Hinata froze, the answer to a question he thought he had the answer to when he first arrived the day before, but now given the position he compromised for, and the consequences resulting from his choices that he now had no idea what was the point of his being there.

"Hey let's go mop the court up quickly!" A fellow first year ball boy called out

"R-right!" Hinata responded as he shuffled to grab a mop in the supply closet "I'll get it!"

Hinata walked into the dark room and stared blankly at the pile of stacked mats in front of him

So... really... what... the heck am I doing?!

He buried his head in the pile of mats and tried to cry but for some reason his tears could not flow. He thought back on the years before him, of all the struggles he went through when no one supported him when he became infatuated with volleyball for the first time. He thought of Yachi, everything she said. He did care about her, after volleyball she was what was most important to him. And he hurt her, he had been hurting her without him knowing. But what was he to do now? He crashed this camp for a reason that was yet unknown to him, even though Yachi was hurting and angry she still said she wanted him to get better at volleyball, she still cared so much for him that she still wanted him to get closer to his dream even after he neglected her. But how could he get better at volleyball if he wasn't on the court?

Find it.... Find it! He thought to himself Think!

"...your way of finding a whole new theme...it's amazing!..." Hitoka said that to me... I need to find a new perspective!

I need to change my perspective!

I need to change the way I think!

"Think about what it is only you can do here!"
That's it! Thank you Coach! Thank you Hitoka! I know what to do now...

Even now though they were apart and she was hurting, Yachi was helping Hinata, inspiring him to push forward. He took a deep breath and left the supply room with the mop in his hand and for the first time in this training camp Hinata smiled as he stared the court down. His smile though soft had a light that everyone saw, this small crack of light was no occurrence that would be ignored, this light was a symbol, this was the dawn of a new day for Hinata and volleyball, Hinata's drive was back; The sun had returned.

 His smile though soft had a light that everyone saw, this small crack of light was no occurrence that would be ignored, this light was a symbol, this was the dawn of a new day for Hinata and volleyball, Hinata's drive was back; The sun had returned