Chapter 35: Calm and Collected

"Tanaka? What're you doing here?" A familiar voice asked

He looked up and straightened his back and looked at Shimizu standing outside the girls' room

"Kiyoko-san? What're you doing outside your room?" Tanaka asked confused

"Hinata wanted to spend some time with Hitoka-chan so I'm giving them privacy."

"... I see." He said pounding his chest to calm his fast beating heart, he crouched over as his chest felt a tightness hugging his heart as if an earthquake was booming against his ribcage.

Shimizu walked over in concern and held his shoulder "Tanaka? Are you alright?" She asked leaning over and moving her long black bangs behind her ear so they would not drag against him. He felt her hand on his shoulder as her calming effect swept over his aching heart. He placed his hand over hers and stood up "yeah... I'm fine... thanks." His eyes met hers and for once he wasn't nervous. He sighed as he recalled another one of Hinata's earlier words "I've also learned that it's always possible to make chances. If you ever want to have a chance with Shimizu-senpai, you need to make it yourself. You can start by actually talking to her and expressing yourself... calmly."
Tanaka cleared his throat "Yeah... I'm doing this." He said quietly

"Did you say something Tanaka?" Shimizu asked with her hand still on his shoulder and his hand on her hand.

"No... Yes... listen do you have a minute?" He asked

"I suppose." She said as she looked at the closed door leading to her room where the two first year lovebirds were spending time together. She stepped away from the door and stood in the middle of the hallway with Tanaka in front of her, he seemed nervous but pretty calm regardless, although his heavy eyes gave a solemn tone.

"I... um I'm sorry." Tanaka said softly with his head down
"What?" She asked curiously

"I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"Since meeting you I'm pretty sure I've worried you with my constant vying for your affection."

"I see..."

"But I don't regret any of the gestures I made." Tanaka said looking her in the eyes "I-I... really love you. I really do. Before meeting you I never felt this way before. I never really acted the way I do for you. It's because I know for sure I love you." Tanaka held her hand that was moments ago on his shoulder and gripped it softly "But if all the things I've done have made you uncomfortable... and I ruined whatever chance I've had... then I'll stop... I'll stop trying to win you over, I'll stop trying to walk you home or carry your bags. I'll do my best to stop loving you but it'd take some time." Tanaka sighed and let go of her hand "Sigh... That's it. That's all I wanted to say.... I'll be going now... excuse me Kiyoko- I mean... Shimizu-senpai." He said as he walked past her in solemn respite.

At least I got that out of the way... he thought Maybe now I can just focus on the matches ahead... As Tanaka took another step he felt a hand grab his shoulder and gripping it tightly yet softly. "Tanaka." She called out softly

He turned around slowly to Shimizu looking at him with a hard to read expression. She took off her glasses and moved closer toward him. Tanaka expected himself to feel a slap and closed his eyes and winced in fear, he felt a soft feeling pressed against his cheek, as if two small plush pillows of skin were placed upon his right cheek. He opened his eyes in shock as he saw another rare sight, Shimizu smiling, Shimizu smiling at Tanaka. He blushed heavily

"I never said I was uncomfortable with you." She said as she put her glasses back on "I mean of course the constant proposals weren't really fun to endure. But if I didn't like them I would've told you." She sighed "I know you're a good person. I saw through that rough persona you tried to put on the first day you joined the club." She said laughing into her hand, she smiled and looked down at her feet with her cheeks blushing pink.
"I'm not saying I love you... but maybe... just maybe I could see a chance."