Chapter 26: Light of the Moon

Shiratorizawa First Year Rookie Training Camp Fourth Day

— —
— —

Hinata's drive had returned, although not at its usual full. He would smile but not as often as the past, whenever he didn't smile his eyes were tired, his face was full of anguish. However when he did smile his positivity was still effective as players who once considered him an enemy were slowly warming up to him. Goshiki surprisingly was the first one to warm up to Hinata, all it took was for Hinata to openly compliment his skills as a spiker and given how long it's been since anyone has really praised him he changed his views on Hinata quickly. Koganegawa was the second to change his opinion on Hinata, although he didn't even need to see much, their energy matched each other in their willingness to play. All of the other ball boys were quickly friends with Hinata given all the time together they spent helping the coaches. Kindaichi became friends with Hinata out of sympathy after the unfortunate spike to the groin incident in where the ball's power as it hit the ground bounced into Hinata's "special area." Immediately after he offered to get him ice however the damage wasn't that bad to require it. Even Tsukishima was finally showing his ability to care, however his brain still tried to convince his heart that he wasn't helping Hinata for the reasons of that of comforting a friend, but for preparation for elite national players they would face soon. However Tsukishima truly did invite Hinata to participate in their blocking personal practice out of kindness. He remembers when Hinata couldn't hit a spike comfortably in the summer, the anger and frustration and feeling of weakness Hinata felt. But Tsukishima wondered what exactly Hinata was feeling in this situation, this time he couldn't hit a spike at all, in addition to that he recently went through a harsh breakup of sorts with Yachi. Hinata wasn't going to brush over those experiences easily, no matter how much he distracted himself with ball boy duties. Although Tsukishima hadn't brought it upon himself to actually reach out and talk to Hinata yet, slowly though he was getting to that point, the blocking practice was a good start but Tsukishima needed to get over his inferiority complex and help a friend out like he promised.

The daily two on two game drills were in the midst and Kunimi's team were crushing all the other teams. Hyakuzawa's lack of defence was made evident in these drills. As the teams took a water break and Hinata was passing around towels and bottles to the tired players, Tsukishima thought it time to talk to Hinata and see how he was doing.

"It should have been you who was invited here and not me." Hyakuzawa thought aloud

"Hm? You mean you wish you and me were both invited here right?"

"Everyone here is super amazing in some way or another after all. In your case it's obvious because you're super huge and tall!"

As Hinata continued to cheer up Hyakuzawa the players looked on as they listened to Hinata's words. Tsukishima watched and wondered
Even for Hinata this is too nice. Is he cheering Hyakuzawa up for him? Or his he really just cheering himself up?

"Are you that confident to cheer up a rival?" Tsukishima asked

"What? I'm chewing him out!" Hinata retorted

"Actually it sounds like you're cheering him up." Kogane said agreeing with Tsukishima

"Oh well I guess either way it works out." Hinata said shrugging it off

Hyakuzawa looked at Hinata with confusion and fatigue "What do you have to gain by helping me?" He asked

Hinata smirked and looked him dead in the eye "Lots... I wanna play you again and beat you at your best!"

His statement though simple set a mood throughout the gym, though they are were all now friends through this training camp, they were still rivals on the court when it came right down to it. The first years who heard this felt a swell of competitive spirit that would carry throughout the rest of the day. As the players headed back to the court, the smirk he wore had faded quickly as his expression returned to its tired state. Tsukishima squinted at Hinata and finally had a good idea of his current state. He was doing what he normally did before but in a whole new light. He was encouraging people like he always did, but now he was doing it for another purpose besides the betterment of others, he was doing it to distract himself from the ever painful strain in his heart. The pain was still there ever so fresh.