28

The next few days you were left alone.

Nobody stepped through the door, not even to bring food or water.

You most likely would have thrown it up anyway.

When you had woken earlier, your skin had been burning. Not in the way it did while using your quirk, but in a way that meant your body had begun to succumb to the injuries you had sustained during your time here.

You hadn't been sick in a while, especially not with a high fever, so this experience was a new level of horrible.

Every time chills would rack through your body you would nearly scream in pain. When your arm shook even slightly you would come close to blacking out from the pain. 

Suddenly you heard the door open. It took most of your energy to lift your head up, your surroundings seemed to sway and the lines on the door rippled.

"Looking a bit under the weather there Y/N."

"And yet I still look better than you ever will." 

Your voice came out hoarse and speaking took more effort than you cared to admit. But you refused to give them the satisfaction of a timid response.

"Oh come on, you can't say that if you haven't even seen me without my mask on."

"Anyone who has to hide their face with a mask is obviously insecure about something."

Compress laughed and walked forward. "I'm surprised you've lasted so long. Most people would have been healed at least twice now."

"Healed?"

"Yes, that's our deal with captives. We torture them to the brink of death, but before they actually croak we send in someone to heal them. Then we do it all again."

He leaned forward. "You'll get there soon enough, you may not be fully broken yet but the cracks are forming."

His hand went to his pocket and he pulled out a piece of bread. He lifted it to your mouth "eat."

You opened your mouth and took a bite, and proceeded to spit it onto his mask. 

"Ungrateful bitch." He grabbed your arm and you bit your tongue to keep from crying out. "You would do well to remember who's in charge here, and learn to be respectful."

His grip tightened and your vision swam, the pain was becoming unbearable.

"I'll be back tomorrow, maybe by then, you will have adjusted your attitude. "

He pressed harder and you felt your consciousness slipping.

And finally, the pain was gone.

-------------------------------------

When your eyes opened again, you were lying in your old bed. Your mother sat in a chair to the side gently stroking your hair.

"Mom?"

"Yes, my love?"

"Is this- did I die?"

She smiled sadly. "No, it's not your time just yet."

Tears welled in your eyes as you studied her face. "I don't want to go back, I want to be here with you." Your voice broke.

"I know baby, and I'm sorry."

"I don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm trying to push through but-" The tears spilled down your face and you choked on a sob.

She wiped a tear from your cheek. "You are by far the most impressive woman I have ever met, seeing your strength never ceases to amaze me."