46

Would very much recommend listening to the badass playlist I made for Y/N during this chapter. Link in my bio.

--------------

All you had wanted to do was eat your lunch in peace.

Hawks stood, pulling you up behind him. You stared at the creature who stood where the window had been just a few seconds ago.

It was unlike any Nomu you had seen before. Where there should have been a face, there was a gaping hole, revealing an entirely exposed brain and two glowing yellow eyes along with rows of jagged teeth.

Without taking his eyes away from it, Hawks spoke to you. "Kid, I need you to get out of here. I'll handle this."

As much as the thought of running away appealed to you, it was obvious that the Nomu already had you as his target. Meaning that running would be pointless.

You thought of the people down below, the little girl who had run up to you with such excitement. You couldn't leave them at the mercy of the battle that was about to take place.

"No, it's here for me. If I run it's just gonna follow." You stepped out from behind him, "evacuate the area and call for help."

"I love the enthusiasm but now is not the time to start acting heroic."

Ignoring him, you took a step closer to the Nomu, allowing a field of electricity to spread over your arms. 

The monster spoke in that gravelly, inhumane voice once again. "I have been sent to retrieve the successor."

How on Earth was the thing talking? None of the other Nomus had been able to communicate so efficiently.

You shrugged. "I think you might be in the wrong place, actually. I never agreed to that title, must be someone else you're looking for."

It let out a low growl, "you're coming with me."

"Not a chance."

You sent a wave of electricity hurtling towards it and quickly turned to Hawks. "Go, now! Get everyone out of the area!"

"Need I remind you that we are almost twenty-five stories above the ground?! Last I checked you weren't all that great at flying!"

"I can handle it, for now, just go! Call for backup!"

You jumped forward, sending an explosion through the Nomus chest. Hawks jumped through the window and began flying to the group of people who had gathered below to watch what was happening.

The Nomu had been injured by your attacks, it hovered in the air, one of its arms had been blown off, and a hole had been pierced through its chest.

Ok, maybe this wouldn't be so hard. 

You readied to send another blast when suddenly it spoke again. "You truly believe you can beat me, child?"

Your eyes widened as its arm began to reform, baring its teeth the Nomu flew forward and reached out to grab you. 

You dove to the side, sending another blast in its direction. The building shook, and you could hear the screams of those below. 

You were lucky that your suit provided a defensive exterior, otherwise, the glass you landed on would have pierced your skin. 

Reaching out your arm to send another attack, you gasped as the Nomus arm grew nearly ten times in size. It pushed forward once more and you felt it clasp its hand around your neck. 

It lifted you effortlessly, knowing what it was attempting to do, you activated your defense ability. Blistering heat spread over your skin, causing the Nomu to cry out.