50

Hawks' POV:

He was pulled from sleep by the sound of his door opening. 

Sitting up in the bed, he rubbed his eyes and looked into the doorway.

The girl walked over to him, a small reassuring smile on her face. "Keigo, we need to leave, ok?"

He grabbed the red blanket that lay at his side, excitement coming over him. "Is the baby coming?" 

She shook her head, "not yet. Right now, we just need to go on a little adventure, ok?"

The girl kept looking behind her as if expecting someone to appear. And although she was attempting to seem calm, the fear in her eyes was unmistakable. 

He was confused. The man never let them leave the house, what sort of adventure would they be going on? And why did the girl look scared? He'd known her for a few months now and she'd never looked afraid of anything.

She took his hand. "You ready to go?"

Her voice shook when she spoke, and Keigo shook his head. "Won't he be mad at us if we leave?"

"We need to get away from him. He... he is not the person that we thought he was. He's using us, he wants to hurt the baby. And you remember what you said, you promised that you wouldn't let anyone hurt her. So right now, we need to get away from here. We need to get somewhere where he can't hurt her ok?"

He looked down and spoke softly. "Why would he do that?"

The girl was beginning to seem frantic. "I don't know, buddy. But right now we need to go."

He looked back up at his friend, the teenage girl that the man had introduced him to after rescuing him from his family. "Ok."

-----------------

Hawks jerked awake, hitting his knee against the bottom of his desk.

It had been years since the nightmares had tormented his sleep, but after his recent encounter with you, it seemed they were making a reappearance. 

God, seeing you in his office had been the last thing he's expected when getting back last night.

All he had needed to do was run a quick errand to the grocery store, so he had been stupid and left all of the information on his laptop unlocked.

He hadn't been prepared to see you like that and had been forced to come up with a story on the spot.

The lie he had given was filled with holes, how the hell could he have grown up and spent years with your mother if he had only been six years old when you were born?

He really was an idiot sometimes.

He'd just needed some way to explain the picture you'd found, childhood friends seemed like the best option at the time. It was difficult to think about the details with a knife pressed to his throat.

He hadn't completely lied, though. There were elements of the story that held a semblance of truth.

His promise, for instance, had not been a lie. These past months he had done everything in his power to try and keep you safe.

As you said, though, he'd done a pretty shit job of it.

And he really did have a friendship with your mother. They just hadn't met in the outside world, they'd been introduced by the man. 

The man who had offered his hand to the boy who sat outside of his house, and promised to give him a better life.

Your mother had been eighteen when the man had introduced the two of them. She was kind, and strong-willed just as you were. She had shown him different games and baked cupcakes while he sat on the counter.