Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six:

The bathroom was too small, and she hated the way it felt like it was crushing her.

"What?"

Five ran a hand through his hair, "Never mind. I've got to go."

"No—" She stepped forward, "Hold on a second."

"We don't have a second."

"Well, we'll make time!" Della snapped, tucking her hair behind her ears. Her hands fell to her sides, scrunching the fabric of her pants. "Talk to me, Five. What's wrong?"

He let out a sarcastic laugh, "For starters, we just lost our one chance back."

"Not that!" She huffed, "There's something else. I can see it in your eyes. It's the one thing I can't read, I don't know what you're thinking about and I don't know if you're okay."

"Why does it matter if I'm okay?"

Della shook her head, crossing her arms, holding herself tightly. "Because I care about you!"

He laughed, shaking his head. "I thought I was the best lair."

Oh my god, the words played in her mind as she looked to the ground. "You're crazy, you know that? Why can't you accept that people like you, Five? That you're not this villain you think you are. That you're a good person, that you love your family. Why can't you accept that I care about you. Ok? There I said it. I care about you."

"Adella."

"Shut up and let me talk." She raised a hand, pointing a finger at him. He was going to let her talk, because if he stopped her she wouldn't be able to say all the things she's buried in her head the moment they met. Everything was bubbling up again, spilling out into her mind. "I have liked you since the day you started talking to me, alright?"

"Stop lying."

"Five!" She yelled, his lips forming a frown as he stared, "I'm not lying. Okay, and if me saying that ruins whatever the hell is happening between us and if you want to ditch me, then fine. Go save the world without me. I'll blow up in the blast and you'll never have to see me again."

"Adella—"

"Stop calling me that!" She huffed, "You're the only one who does and I hate it, ok? I hate the way you say it and how it makes me feel when you do 'cause no matter what, that feeling never goes away and I'm sick of it. There. I said it. Are you happy? I get it if you don't give a shit about me, I won't be surprised, I drive everyone away anyways—"

"You think I don't give a shit about you?"

She shrugged, throwing her hands in the air. "I don't know anymore. I really don't."

Della took a shallow breath. She knew she shouldn't have said anything, that she should've just let him blink out to wherever he was going and that when he returned he would've cooled off. Now they were talking about things she never let herself think about, and he was staring at her with that look she still couldn't decipher.

He stepped forward, expression still stuck in mild anger. Della didn't know what to do, so she said nothing and when he didn't move, she turned to make her way out.

This whole thing was ridiculous, and now he probably didn't want to talk to her. She ruined the one thing she thought she always would have, and he was the only person who stuck with her through everything.

She reached for the door, just as Five appeared in front of her. Her eyes widened as she tensed, his own staring her down. His eyes, which in the odd light of the bathroom appeared to be a cold blue, always changing, she noticed.

Della stepped back, the strange fluttering feeling in her stomach worsening. He remained still, like he was frozen in place. She pursed her lips, shaking her head as she stepped around him, arm reaching for the knob when a hand wrapped around her arm and spun her. She stumbled into Five, his hand resting on the base of her neck, thumb brushing her jaw as he crashed into her.

There wasn't a moment of hesitation, not then, when his mouth met hers. Della's breath caught in her throat as her back hit the wall, they had stumbled to the other side of the bathroom. He smelt of fresh air and tasted of morning coffee, something she never liked, but after this it was worth another try. He shuddered against her, pulling her as close to him as he could. Della's eyes widened, pushing him away. He took a deep breath, staring down at her, hand still on her neck, keeping her in place.

"You know how long I've wanted to do that?"

She blinked, cheeks flushing. What the hell just happened?

"I— um," She paused, staring up at him. "That was interesting."

His lips quirked up, thumb still brushing her jaw. Della sucked in a breath, unsure of what to do. The air was returning to her lungs as she suppressed a laugh, "Oh my god."

Five's brows furrowed in confusion, "What?"

She leaned her head against the wall, laugher escaping her lips. "You just kissed me in a dead man's apartment." She broke off, covering her mouth. His hand fell from her face and rested on her hip, she shook her head. "And he's in the living room. With your brother! Oh my god, isn't this just something?"

He snorted, "I can get rid of him."

"You're an idiot." She told him, shuffling around him. Della couldn't help the feeling in her stomach as it spread, her cheeks heating. This was embarrassing. "Aren't we on a time schedule?"

He followed her, "That didn't matter when you questioned me earlier."

"Yeah, well, we were talking then."

Five shrugged, "I kinda liked the silence."

She clicked her tongue, finding herself at the door once again.

"Did you?" He was behind her, hands on her waist, turning her to him. She leaned against the wall, mind racing. There was so many more important things for them to be doing, certainly not this in a bathroom. Della looked up to him, his own pale face flushed. His eyes danced with her silence, knowing her answer. "You think too much."

"So do you."

Della pursed her lips, attention flickering to his tie. It was bunched up, half hanging out of his vest. She reached out and tucked it back it, smoothing it over his collared shirt. Maybe she was thinking to too much. Her grip tightened on his tie as he tucked a loose piece of hair behind her ear, the spots where his finger touched tingling. She pulled him down to meet her, standing on her toes, she closed the distance once again. He pressed her up against the door, as if their closeness earlier hadn't been enough. His hair was soft as she dug her hands through it, whispering his name between breaths.

There was a knock at the door and she jumped, spinning to face it. "I'm glad to see you two made up." Luther's voice called.

Della held back a laugh, covering her mouth. Five only shook his head, "I'm gonna murder him."