Fifty Nine

Chapter Fifty-Nine:

The florescent lights clicked off hours ago, leaving Della in complete darkness, with only the sounds of rushing water left to calm her. Alfred had injected her one last time, she could barely life her head anymore. Her eye lids struggled to stay open, sweat beaded at her hairline and slowly dripped down her face. Her stomach ached, throbbing with every grumble. How long had see been in here?

She coughed loudly, hacking up blood and mucus. Her throat burned, not having a sip of water in... she didn't know. She spat a glob of blood into the filling pool around her. The water was a greenish brown, she didn't know what the hell was slowly floating up around her. Alfred had said the water would spill out slowly, but since the old pipes had been turned on, the water was rushing into the empty pool. The liquid was up above her ankles now, it was unbelievably cold.

Her stomach stung with every breath, it seemed just existing now was painful. Every inch of her body throbbed and ached, she was sure at this point she looked like one big bruise. Her hands felt like sandpaper, the skin scratched and burned from her many attempts of getting her hands free, the skin around her ankles felt the same way.

"Adella."

She shook her head, blinking away the darkness. She didn't want to see anymore people that weren't truly there, she was tired of her minds ruthless tricks. This would be Five's seventh visit now.

"Why did you get yourself into this mess?"

He appeared in front of her, his blue eyes unnaturally sparkling in the pitch black. "You should be able to get out of your own messes, you know. First lesson at the Commission."

"Go away." She mumbled her lips barely moving, dried and cracked. "You're not real."

Della squeezed her eyes shut, she wanted the real Five. She wanted to be with desperately, to feel the warmth of his skin again. To be around him. She wanted to go home.

"I'm as real as your mother was. And your dad. And all the people you've killed over the years you've been on the run." She could feel him smiling, but even that felt unnatural. "And now I'm here to watch you die."

She shook her head again, her chest heaving up and down in heavy breathes, she could feel the cold water climbing up her legs.

"I don't know what the hell I saw in you." He scoffed, his voice laced with venom. "You're a waste of power. I mean, come on, all the shit you're capable of and yet you're sitting tied in a filling pool dying. Pathetic."

Della opened her eyes, but all she could see was darkness. Five's image was gone, but his voice filled her mind. "It's good to see my serum worked."

"What?"

He appeared in front of her again, a grin on his face. "That got your attention."

"Go away." Her mind raced, having a new conversation with a ghost in her own mind. "You are not real."

"Sweetheart, unfortunately I am. The Handler won, Adeline. Shot us all dead, not you of course, some people always manage to get away."

She flinched at that name, she hated that name. He would never call her that. "You're a liar."

"Yeah?"

Della's fingers burned as she tried again at the ropes around her wrists, bound to the chair she sat on. Tears burned at her eyes, but she refused to cry. She wouldn't. But her hope was dwindling almost as fast as the water that rose around her.

Come on, she thought, her arms straining as she attempted to twist her hands free. Please. I don't want to die.

"Help!" She screamed, her voice sounding like chalk running down a chalk board, "Hel-"

Della hunched over in a coughing fit, air burning her throat. Tears fell from her eyes, rubbing down her cheeks and onto her lap. The water was at her knees know, and soon it would be over her head.

"Someone, please." She croaked into the empty room, the rushing water drowning her out. "Help."

The woman leaned back in the chair, "Five, if you really died... can you hear me?"

Her voice was barely a whisper, she closed her eyes taking the deepest breath she could muster.

"I think I'm in love with you." It felt odd to admit it out loud, even if she was completely alone sitting in such darkness. "I should've done so much more for you. I could've been there for you when you really needed and I wasn't. And I said so much stupid shit to you and you'd give me these looks and instantly I'd regret it."

Della couldn't help but snort, she could feel more tears fall from her chin and land on her lap, "I've made so many mistakes. And then I didn't, and I managed to screw that up too."

She wondered if he was at peace, if Five was really dead. She hoped he was somewhere better, living the life he should've been granted. If anyone deserved a good life it was him.

"I guess I'll see you soon." She muttered, trying not to think about what was truly happening. Her worst fear. She was going to drown.

Adella started to scream.