Nine

Chapter Nine:

When Five returned, he was bombarded by a string of more questions by Diego, who didn't looked pleased or calmed by the answers given.

"Of course Dad would be involved in the assassination. I should've known."

"No, you're jumping to conclusions." Five told him, he also didn't look too pleased with the news.

"What else is he doing standing on the grassy knoll, holding an open umbrella on a sunny day in Dallas the exact same time the president gets shot?"

Della shrugged, "Maybe he just likes long walks on the knoll?"

"It doesn't look good, I admit." Five ignored her, "But--"

"He's the signalman for the whole goddamn thing!"

Five shook his head, "Easy, Diego. Seriously."

"No, it makes sense." The man went on, pacing back and fourth. They all watched with worried eyes, "This is what Hazel was obviously trying to tell you. We have to stop Dad from killing the president."

"Ok, it's time to calm down, Diego. Look, is your Dad really capable of coming up with a plan like this and executing it?"

"Adella."

She glanced to Five, "What? Is everyone in your family crazy?"

He rolled his eyes, "Dad was no boy scout, but presidential assassination? Adella's right, it's never been his thing."

"How would you know?" Diego glared at his brother, "You skipped out on his golden years."

Della took a deep breath as she watched them both, Five sighed staring up at the crazed man. "Skipped out? You think I had it easy, Diego? I was alone for 45 years." He paused, shaking his head. "You know what, we don't have time for this right now. Dad's clearly in Dallas, right? Let's just go talk to him."

"Woah," Della coughed, "What happened to the whole butterfly effect thing?"

"He can maybe help us fix the timeline."

"How many brain cells did you lose when you jumped back into this body of yours? Did you hear me--"

"We have ten days to fix this, Del. We have no choice."

Diego nodded, "Dallas is a big place. We need to find him first."

"Ok, so what happens when you find him? Tell him you're his adopted kids from the future, and that he in fact has seven of them?"

"Six."

"What about the ghost?"

Diego raised a brow at Five, "You told her about Ben?"

He shrugged, "I tell her everything."

Which was true, and she knew he didn't want people to know, so why he revealed that fact in front of a room of strangers, she'd never know.

"Listen, what would you do if someone came up to you and told you you were their dad? Huh?"

Five sighed, walking out of the makeshift projector room and into the kitchen, digging through drawers. "We need to find the phonebook."

"Are you even listening to me?" She questioned, hopping up on the countertop, "This is a terrible idea. You're gonna change something in the timeline."

"How do you know that?"

Della turned to Diego, "Because that's what always happens. And I've heard anytime you all work together ends up being a shit show. Tell me, what's the difference gonna be here?"

Diego pulled a large yellow book out of the last kitchen drawer, tossing it onto the counter next to her with a thud. He flipped it open to the 'H' section and began muttering his last name, dragging his finger down each page. "Shit. Nothing here."

"Try his company." Five said, peering over his brother's shoulder. "D.S. Umbrella Manufacturing Co."

Diego turned his head and glared, "Yeah, I know the name. Thanks."

They all studied the book as Diego's finger landed on the gold, "Holy shit, D.S. Umbrella. Eighty-two Olive. Let's go."

Muffling noises came from the makeshift room across from them. The sheet blocking the doorway was caught on something, revealing Elliott still tied and bound to his chair. "He okay to leave here like that?"

"Yeah, he's fine." Five shrugged, "What about the girl?"

Diego's eyes, widened. "Shit."

He dashed off to the darkroom, leaving both Della and Five standing alone in the kitchen. She slid off the counter and landed next to him, "This is a terrible idea."

"Well, it's the only plan we've got. And the world end's in ten days."

Della pursed her, "Technically, isn't it nine now?"

He huffed, marching towards the front door. "Not helping."

"What, cause I'm always trying to help?"

She could sense the annoyance radiating off of him, but even when he turned to glare, like how he always did, she could see the amusement in his face wether he liked it or not. Della followed after him, "How are we getting there?"

"Diego's car."

She nodded, "His stolen car."

"Details don't matter."

Della chuckled, trailing after him down the stairwell and outside. "They do when you have cops chasing after you."

"Ok, so we won't get caught."

Five talked with so much confidence, like it would be stupid if you didn't agree with him. He was always like that, high strung and determined to get what he wanted. She wondered when he'd finally break, sick of holding up his hollowed exterior. He carried so much with him, and never let anyone in. Della never knew how he did it, and most likely never would.

She learned from him, that you couldn't let anyone see what you were thinking. He had given her tips when she revealed she'd gotten her first task, telling her things he swore he'd never tell anyone else. It was odd how he was with her— not as rude, compassionate maybe. A few other women at the Commission always asked her about that, but she dismissed it. He was being kind to her, it didn't mean he liked her. It seemed like if Five showed emotion in the bare minimum at the commission, it was like he was the best guy ever. People were dumb. The people at the commission especially.

"What?"

Della sucked in a breath, eyes moving from the ground to Five, who raised a brow.

"Huh?"

He tapped the top of Diego's stolen car, slipping in the front seat. "You were staring, Markham."

Her cheeks flushed, Della shook her head quickly, trying to mask the look on her face. This was so unlike her. She swung open the door and flopped into the passenger seat, staring straight ahead.

"Shut up, Hargreeves."