Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Seven:

Della stayed in the bathroom when Five vanished, telling her he'd be back when he had his plan worked out, which he would, he kept reassuring her.

Eventually she moved from her spot against the door, creaking it open to find the space empty. She stepped out, making her way to the living room. Della found Luther on the couch, staring at the ceiling.

"I didn't hear anything." Luther mumbled, hearing her footsteps. "Is he back?"

"Huh?"

He closed his eyes, sprawled out on the furniture. "I figured he left when it got all quiet."

"I thought you weren't listening."

"The door rattles a lot with movement."

Della pursed her lips, "Oh."

It was nearly past midnight, the curtains drawn against the glow of downtown street lights. She quietly sat down on the love seat, pulling her knees up to her chest, balancing her head on her knees.

"I'm glad he's happy with you."

Her gaze wandered over to the man on the couch, "What?"

Luther shook his head against the throw pillow, "I've never seen that kid smile. Not even when we were kids."

"So?"

"So, what I'm learning here is that you're blind."

Della snorted, lips quirking up. "What?"

"He smiles whenever he looks at you." He said, "I don't even think he realizes it. I should mention it to him, see how fast he tries to murder me."

"There's been mentions of that," Della laughed, "I'm not gonna lie."

"There always is."

She sighed, "Are you hungry?"

"Kind of."

"Want to get some food?"

He sat up, brows furrowing. "Why?"

Della shrugged, her feet hitting the floor. "Because I'm hungry."

She couldn't remember the last time she had eaten, or even had a cup of water. "There's like a ridiculous amount of eggs in the fridge. I can make some mean omelettes."

He pursed his lips, expression falling into concentration. She had no idea why the man was thinking about it, knowing he'd want one too. Della jumped up, racing to the kitchen. She swung open the fridge, casting harsh light into the darkness. She could hear Luther's heavy footsteps before something clicked and the lights flooded on. She dug through the refrigerator, pulling out a carton of eggs and searching for any vegetables. A bag of bell peppers was shoved in the crisper drawer, along with a red onion and a zip lock of left over bacon.

"I've never made an omelette before." Luther organized the ingredients on the counter, "Is it easy?"

"Yeah. How have you never made it before?"

Della grabbed the carton of milk and a small jar of Worcestershire sauce, handing it off to him as she yanked them out.

"I don't know. We never had to do anything as kids. We have various robot moms do all the cooking and cleaning, all we had to do was train and play superhero."

She kicked the door closed with her knee, gathering a knife and some bowls. She dug a red pepper from the bag and rinsed it in the sink, the stream of cold water nipping her skin.

"What about when you moved out?"

"I never did."

Luther watched as she placed it back on the counter and chopped the sides, dicing them up into little pieces.