Thirty

Chapter Thirty:

"Welcome to Wisconsin."

Della looked around, they were in front of a lodge, the parking lot full of cars. "Why?"

"The board meets only once every four decades. This is it, the one chance to get them."

He started towards the building, Della raced after him, "And what's the point of killing them again?"

Five adjusted his blazer, holding open the door as she slipping in underneath his outstretched arm. Della gazed around the room, people were everywhere all dressed up in costumes.  "Is that Polka music?"

He shrugged, walking over to a woman leaning over a welcome table. He rolled his shoulders, digging his hands into his pocket. "Excuse me?"

"Uff da!" The woman laughed, jumping as she turned to face them. "You snuck up on me there. If you're looking for the cookies, we don't put 'em out until 3:00."

Della didn't even know what time it was, "I can't wait."

"Uh," Five cleared his throat, putting on a smile, "Do you know where the Midwest Soybean Society is meeting?"

"Sure do. Muskellunge Banquet Room. You two looking for your parents? Are they in for the convention?"

Della looked around, "Yeah, um, they always wanted to check it out. The um, Soybean Society seems pretty interesting."

"Do you have some change?"

She shot Five an odd look, his smile stretching as the woman slowly nodded, digging in her bag. "Oh, sure, I'll just look in my purse." She sighed, "Oh, just a nickel and a few dimes— oh! Wait, you are lucky mister."

He stuck his hand out as she placed a few dollars onto his palm , "You know, some say the best luck is to die at the right time."

Della made a sputtering noise as she grabbed ahold of his arm and hauled him away, shoving him into the nearest hallway. He stumbled, glaring at her. "What?"

"What do you mean?" She whacked his arm, "What's wrong with you!"

He shrugged, wandering down the hall. He paused briefly at a sign, then continued on down to where a vending machine sat against a wall. He held out his palm and picked up a few coins, dropping them into the machine. Della watched, crossing her arms as he jabbed at the buttons. His brows crinkled in distaste as nothing happened. He smacked the glass, head tilting in anticipation. Della pursed her lips, unsure of what to do, and wondering when she could break the news to him that she get the candy bar out without even moving a muscle.

He groaned, kicking the machine. "Come on!" He huffed, grabbing ahold of it and shaking it. She suppressed a laugh as he attacked it, he only stopped when he heard her laughing.

He cursed under his breath, meeting her amused gaze. "Are you okay?" She mocked him, making her way to him. "We have to talk about—"

"Don't even start." He huffed, moving to the other side of the hall, where a long table sat with a stack of plates and a large cake. She watched as he ran a finger through the icing, giving a shrug when she raised an eye brow. "I'm serious."

She wandered over to him, raising a hand. She wiped off a spot of frosting on the corner of his lip, she could feel him tense under the soft touch. Della only snorted, "When is this thing supposed to happen?"

He blinked, adverting his eyes elsewhere. They landed on an axe hung up in an emergency glass case. Five sped over and smashed the glass, grasping a hand around the hilt as he yanked it out, "Now."