Fifty One

Chapter Fifty One:

Diego wouldn't admit that he was hurt that Lila was in the process of trying to kill all of them. Or how the woman duped him, admitting that everything she did was a ruse made by her mother. He wondered if she ever had loved him, searching her eyes for the answer.

The barn was much warmer than outside, yet as he stood there staring at her, he could feel the bite of the cold air nipping at his skin. Lila was just like them, and had been lied to her entire life, he only hoped that she would listen to his words and come with them.

A surprised yelp filled the air, he spun to see Five fighting a gun off of the Handler, pointing it at her as he jumped away with the weapon. Her hands flew up, an annoyed expression on her face.

"It's true, isn't it?" Lila was the first to speak, "What Five said?"

The woman said nothing, only gave Five a side eye as she calculated her next move. Diego could see in her eyes, could tell by the tense air around her. It would be much harder to win this time, unlike earlier when they were outmatched. Now she was stuck with the possibility of Five blowing her brains out, or sparring with the rest of them.

"Answer me, is it true!"

The Handler sighed, looking displeased as she opened her mouth. "Well--"

She never got to finish, bullets peppered the woman, her eyes wide as she collapsed onto the ground. Diego sucked in a breath, staring at his bother, ready to question his motives when a man stepped out of the glaring sun and into the barn.

He wanted to strangle the man, one of what Five called the Swedes. He stood there, squaring them all up.

They were so close. They had gotten through the ambush unharmed, and shockingly had rid of the Handler without so much of a scratch. It all seemed too easy, he wondered if this was where their luck ran out.

Footsteps slid on cement, he turned just in time to see Lila make a break towards the entrance.

"The case!" Luther yelled, rushing after her.

Diego watched, as if time was slowed, as she lunged for the case sitting on the ground. Her face smeared with tears, her eyes filled with confusion and loss. All her life she'd been lied too, maybe she just wanted another shot.

"Wait--" He blurted, jumping in front of Luther. He fell to the ground, pinned there by his brother. He heard the energy from the case spike, he couldn't help the small smile that found his face. It was quickly wiped away as Luther peered over top of him, he followed his line of sight. The Swede was still there, now pointing a gun at Five. He held his breath as Five tilted his head, holding the gun to his side before dropping it.

"Enough." The boy said, shaking his head.

Diego's eyes widened as he looked to each of them, eyes terrifyingly piercing as he met their gazes. He seemed to linger on both him and Luther, a brow twitching upwards before tossing his own gun to the floor. The man muttered something, turning around and leaving without another word. Diego sighed with relief, turning his attention upward.

Luther pushed himself up, shaking his head, "Dude, why'd you do that? I almost had her."

"Because," He huffed, "I love her."

His brother climbed off him, Diego flipped to his side, slowly pulling himself up when something caught his eye. Laying in a pile of hay was a beaded bracelet, the one Lila always wore, the one he had made in a fit of annoyance at the sanitarium. He slipped it into his pocket as he stood up, a voice calling for Vanya broke his daydream.

He looked around, giving a nod to each of his siblings as Vanya rushed away. His brows furrowed when he couldn't find one of them. He turned to Five,"Where's Della?"