Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven:

"You've got to be kidding me."

Della's eyes peeled open, blinking back the brightness of the setting sun. Five's face hovered over her, brows knotted tightly in mild anger.

"What?"

"What?" He repeated, "You're asleep on a park bench. And you're gripping a bottle of vodka."

She pulled herself up, stretching out her legs. "Just like old times. Expect for the bottle, I'm not an alcoholic, I promise."

"Old times?" He said angrily, "I've been looking for you everywhere— and after what happened last time, since there are people trying to kill you—"

He paused, staring down at her as she just watched him rant. His lips formed a straight line, "You've been drinking."

"You've cracked the code.." She stood up, waving the empty bottle before dropping it on the ground. It lay intact on the grass as she linked her arm through his. "And maybe we got thrown out of a restaurant."

"Dear god."

"How'd you know?"

He shook his head, "What, besides the empty bottle? What happened last time. I've never seen you so scared. You wouldn't risk that again."

"I'm fine." She told him, "I just wanted to get to know your siblings. They're cool. How I ended up with another bottle, I really couldn't tell ya."

"Della."

"Ooo." She whistled, "You know it's serious when you call me anything besides my full name."

He huffed, "This is serious. We're going to meet my father."

"Oh! Cool, I get to meet Kernel Sanders."

"No. You're not calling him that."

"You're awfully boring."

Five sighed, shaking his head. "It's very important this dinner goes well. So, I'm hoping the fact that all you, Klaus and Allison are somewhat drunk, won't ruin it."

"You afraid I'll embarrass you in front of your daddy?" She pouted sarcastically, "I probably would've if I was completely sober too, ya know."

"Yeah."

Della looked around, "So, what's the hold up?"

"What?"

She stopped, letting her arm drop back to her side. He was watching her as she was him, "Why aren't you zapping us out? Don't we have somewhere important to be?"

"I thought we could walk."

"Walk?" She laughed, head pounding. She needed that nap, but she would've preferred it to be somewhere comfy, and not on a hard bench. "Are you feeling okay?"

His brows knotted, annoyance still dancing in his eyes. "Just peachy."

The colours of the evening sky casted a hue of orange and pinks over his fair skin, making his eyes appear as if they were a dark purple. His hair was sticking up in places, he looked more like a flushed teenager who'd just gotten out of bed. It was in these moments, that he really played the character of just a teenage boy. Even his eyes, the ones that told the stories of his past, of the struggles and loss, seemed to only tell the story of what was yet to come. His lips twitched up, "Adella."

"Hm?"

"Don't look at me like that."

She blinked, "What?"