Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven:

"I searched everywhere." Five huffed, falling onto the sofa. He had returned the Elliott's, no closer to finding Adella as he was before. He gazed around, his family spread amongst the furniture. Vanya sat at one of Elliott's many machines, tapping away at buttons. Luther and Klaus were leaning against the stair railing while Allison was sprawled out on the love seat. Five's brows furrowed, "Where's Diego?"

"Where do you think?" Vanya said absentmindedly, "He left a few hours after you did. Also, I think I'm getting used to this machine. I've managed to keep track of any unusual energy waves, incase they travel with a briefcase."

Five opened his mouth, thinking of a witty retort, but quickly closed it when one never came. Instead he sat up, "Wait, really?"

He hadn't thought of that, of tracking any energy pulses in the city. If Alfred was going to bring her back here, they would be alerted of the general area. Five couldn't help but smile, finally some good news towards finding Adella.

"Yeah," Vanya nodded, "This is better than sitting around and doing nothing."

Luther snickered, "Hey, we were told not to go anywhere."

"Yes, well, Elliott seemed to have a ridiculous amount of machines perfect for tracking people like us." Vanya retorted, "So, there is technically things we can be doing here."

She smiled to herself as she poked at a few more buttons, Luther's face set in a scowl as he watched from his spot. Five stood up, peering out the front store window. It felt wrong, even standing still for such short time. He needed to be out there, he needed to bring her back.

A bell chimed, the sound echoing throughout the building. Diego appeared running up the stairs, breathing heavily as he slumped into Five's previous spot on the sofa.

"What happened?" Five questioned, turning to his brother. Diego shook his head, waving him off as he took a deep breath.

"Feds saw me." He heaved, "Was across town, had to run all the way here."

Five pursed his lips, brows knotted as he watched Diego. "At least you didn't get stabbed this time."

"Hey," He said defensively, seemingly passive gaze turned sharp. "That's not cool."

Klaus snorted from his spot, brushing a loose piece of hair from his face. Five hadn't noticed the flask in his hand earlier, he thought his brother was trying to stop that. "Who stabbed Diego?"

He remembered that night, exploring their father's building in search of any answers. They hadn't found much, instead they went separate ways. While Five was with Adella, Diego was led away by a mysterious figure. In the end, the mysterious figure turned out to be their father. And his answer, instead of questioning them to why he was being sought after, decided to stab Diego in warning. Five wondered if that's where he got his own mentality of stab first, ask questions later.

"Dad." Five shrugged, "Apparently he almost bled out too."

"Lila followed me, dragged me back here I guess."

"Ah, yes." He clicked his tongue, eyes darting away from his brother. "The one who got us into this mess."

Diego rolled his eyes, sitting up straight. "The Handler was manipulating her. You didn't know her like I did, okay? She's not—"

Five glared, hands balling into fists. How was Diego still on this? After everything that woman did, how was he still in love with her?

"She tried to kill us!" Five raised his voice, staring daggers up at his brother. "Her only job was to manipulate you, to get what the Handler wanted! Everything she said and did was a lie, Diego! Lila almost killed Allison too! And now, because of her, Adella is somewhere with a man who's only job is to kill her."

"I get that, okay. I do. And we're looking for her, Five. That's all we can do."

Sometimes, on occasion, Five pictured drop kicking various members of his family. It was mostly ever Luther and Diego, sometimes Klaus filtered in, but only for brief moments.

"We can't even go out because you've demanding we stay here!" Diego continued, "She's not here. We need to go somewhere else."

He shook his head, lips forming a tight line. It was nearly a day she'd been gone, and already hope was dwindling.

"We don't know that." He said quietly, eyes flickering anywhere but the gaze of his brother. "She could be here somewhere."

Diego sighed, "Five."

They didn't understand, they never would, he knew that. Adella was just a random person he had dragged along to them, no real significance. He would look again soon, after conferring with Vanya about any energy blasts he wasn't aware about. He needed clues, to search in a place where she could actually be. Perhaps he had missed her by a minute, maybe Alfred was toying with him. The man had to know he was looking for her, that he wouldn't just leave her.

"I'm going back out." He said finally, staring at his brother. "And if I don't have her with me, then I'm jumping to a different timeline."

"You're not jumping anywhere. What if you get stuck?"

He didn't want to think about that, or any other scenario that ended in failure. "I'll be back later."

Diego opened his mouth to protest, but he was already gone.