Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five:

"Your family will be safe here," Herb told them, standing in the centre of Elliott's apartment. "On one unfortunate condition, none of you can really leave unless you want to be arrested."

Diego's brows furrowed, "What?"

"Look, I would've preferred to do something else but I couldn't... you know what, it's fine. This is what I can do right now."

Five nodded slowly, "You'll look for her on your end too, right?"

He was tense, he had been since they fled the farm with a briefcase in case they truly did need to escape somewhere. Though Five trusted Herb, he just wished there was a way to ensure he wasn't putting his family at risk.

"I'll check the switchboard in all timelines." Herb declared, giving him a reassuring look. "If I see anything, I'll let you know right away. The public won't see this building as it is, instead it will look abandoned alright? You shouldn't be bothered."

Five only crossed his arms, pacing back and fourth next to the railing. He couldn't keep himself still, terrible thoughts filtered through his head. "Thank you," He mumbled, such a phrase sounding odd without his usual sarcasm.

He wondered if Adella was alright, if perhaps he was over exaggerating. Yet he knew that wasn't true, that the worst was most likely occurring. Did she think he was dead? Was she trapped with the knowledge of being alone, with nobody coming after her?

"How are we supposed to look for her if we can't leave?" Luther questioned, "That defeats the point."

Five turned to his brother, eyes narrowing. "I'm the only one who can jump through timelines. I just needed you safe somewhere while I search."

Klaus snickered, "The little man didn't say we can't leave. He just said that if we do we're probably gonna be shot by the government. There's a difference."

He said nothing, never having been one for jokes. And this certainly wasn't the time for them. Five shook his head, mind racing. He paused, looking out at his family. "I'm going to start looking here first, alright? Maybe he brought her back to the spot where he got her the first time— or maybe he took her back to the 1800's. I don't know, I'll check both I guess."

They still didn't seem as concerned as he hoped, though it was clear there was some sort of worry in their eyes. Diego remained unbelievably calm, he wondered if he was processing it at all, or if he was refusing to believe the severity of the situation.

"When was she in the 1800's?" Diego questioned, curiosity laced in his voice.

Five huffed, running a nervous hand through his hair. It had been a long time since he felt so out of control, unable to see a clear idea of the future. All the scenarios that snuck up on him weren't good, and he tried not to dwell on them for too long. What erked him about Diego's lack of emotion was how he knew his brother felt things very strongly. He did as well, but over the years he mastered the art of hiding. Diego was an utter wreck for weeks after learning his friend Patch and died, and he knew that guilt and sorrow was still living within him. And Lila, despite Five's own hatred of her, could see it in his brother's eyes how much she meant to him. For Adella it seemed, it hadn't hit him yet, or, he was choosing not to acknowledge it. His own sister.

"I understand you don't know her, Diego, not like I do. But she is your sister, by blood, and I just need you to act like you care." He said tiredly, eyes wishing to remain shut with every blink. He couldn't remember the last time he slept, or even had any food. Most of the adrenaline from the farm had simpered down, and instead fatigue and intense aches filled that void.

"You need to lay down." Allison said quickly, stepping towards him. "You can't go looking for her like this."

Diego nodded, "Look, I'm worried alright. I thought that maybe you were over exaggerating— that she would be fine. But, you never really over exaggerate about important things."

"And you're right," Vanya spoke up, eyes softening as she watched him bite at his nails. "You've done so much trying to get us home, and we've all... well, we weren't much help."

Five blinked, looking at each of them. They wanted him to rest, and he knew that was a good idea, but he didn't have time. What if something happened to her in the hours that he slept? He wouldn't be able to forgive himself.

"I'm searching here first." He told them, backing up towards one of the two staircases that lead to the main floor. Darkness seeped into the windows, stars the only source of light. "I'll be back by morning."

He heard Allison's voice protest, and he found himself hesitating, just for a mere moment. It was odd to have them worrying over him, showing this much concern for his well-being.

"Five, you have to rest. Eat something— you can't find her if you're passed out somewhere." Allison reasoned, "You stay here and I'll go."

"What? No." Luther shook his head, "No way."

Five rolled his eyes, "See you later."

He took the stairs two at a time, feet carrying him across the foyer and out the door. The air was warm, contrasting severely to his time at the farm. How unnatural the storm felt, all coming from a little boy who had no idea what was happening. Five remembered being that little boy, confused and lost in a world that seemed so much bigger than he could have ever thought. And with an ability of sorts which was deemed just as unnatural.

He sped down the street, glowering onto unlit shops. Some had been boarded shut, signs tacked the wood declaring closure from the public until the 'JFK killers' were captured. Five huffed, continuing along, a flickering light emanating a buzz of electricity. He paused staring up at the botched café sign, inside the same just as it had been when both Adella and him arrived that first night.

A white page fluttered loudly in the wind, the top taped messily with green painter's tape. Allison's photo was printed on it, her name listed underneath in large black letters. With it, a blurb about her doings in protests and other things they felt were wrong. Five shook his head, anger swirling in his stomach. The word 'Wanted' over her head made him want to scream.

A matching paper with Adella's own face on it was taped up beside it, under her blurb was the words 'conspirator' and 'potentially dangerous.'

Five's lips formed a straight line, staring at her photo. It was taken the night of the sit-in, someone was captured clearly behind her, dragging her back. Her eyes were wide and panicked, and he couldn't help wonder if they were the same right now, only somewhere else.

"Hey!" A fist met glass, the sound grabbing him back into reality. A waiter was staring at him from the other side, brows raised. "What are you doing!"

He blinked, staring at the man. Which in return, the waiter's expression slowly changed from anger to fear.

"It's you!" He exclaimed, knocking on the glass again. "You're one of 'em folks the police are after!"

Five said nothing, only gave the man a small nod before vanishing in a haze of blue.