Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

As the sun went down, the heavy silence managed to deepen. They hadn't found any other Hargreeves sibling, and had wasted a day doing it.

Five's silence was the worst, it was when Della couldn't decipher what he was thinking. He was very vocal, especially when he wasn't in the best mood. She hated silence, and had been immersed in it for almost an entire evening. Quiet was the type of thing to pull you into your own head, to make you think about the things you've pushed so far back, stuff you never wanted to relive. There was so many monsters under the bed for her, and whenever the quiet began to settle, they all began peaking out.

As rusted streetlights began to flick on, Della snuck a glance at the boy. His brows were knotted, and shoulders tensed while pulled back. When his eyes found hers he sighed, "Stop looking at me like that."

Della pursed her lips, adverting her gaze to the cement under their feet. "I'm not."

"You're not what."

"Looking at you." She said with a curt nod, "See? I'm looking at the ground."

He snorted, "This was a waste of time."

That was true. All they did was circle downtown until Five zipped them in and out of other parts of the city. To no avail, no other sibling was found. Now, Five was more pissed off than before, and she didn't know how to break their silence for more than two minutes at a time.

"So who are we missing?" Della questioned, kicking a random rock further up the sidewalk.

"Allison, Klaus and Vanya." He told her, "Allison can make anyone do anything by saying a string of words, Klaus can commune with the dead and Vanya— well, I don't really know."

She looked over at him, "You don't know?"

"Not really. I know she's the most powerful out of all us." He shrugged, "I've seen sound waves... um, she can move things with her mind."

"Well, that's original." Della muttered, kicking at the rock once again. This time it skidded onto the road, landing in a small pot hole next to the curb.

She had never been to Dallas, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. Della hadn't gotten around much, her only memories of childhood were alone back home, searching for parents she never knew.

It was interesting to finally be away, and not swept up into a place that only existed between timelines. The commission wasn't a solid place on earth, it somehow was always it own thing in itself. Della never knew how any of those people got there, who had found them? The Handler couldn't have been around forever— but how many had that woman brought in alone?

Della paused as an arm flew out, causing her to stop. Five was alert, staring straight down the street. She followed his gaze, landing on a figure standing underneath a flickering lamp post, the light only illuminating the figures shadow.

"Damn it." She whispered, slowly backing away. "Is that Alfred?"

"Think so. He found you quicker than I was anticipating."

"Maybe we shouldn't have been wandering around the city all day." She said as the figure began approaching, "Remember when I said that every time we're together everything seems to go to shit?"

"I recall, yes."

They both turned, rushing down the way they came. Five was a lot faster than she remembered, Della huffed trailing after him.

"What's the point of having powers when you won't use them!" She grumbled, "Just jump us out of here!"

He doubled back, grabbing ahold of her arm and swinging her into him. They disappeared in a haze of blue, reappeared in the alley way between Commerence and Knox.

"We cannot let them find out where we're staying." She exclaimed, following up the metal door. He swung it open as she ducked under his arm, taking the stairs two at a time. "I don't feel like dying in this timeline, thank you very much."

"He must've followed us."

"No shit."

"Adella."

She rolled her eyes as they made it to Elliott's door, she grasped the door knob as a cracking noice echoed. She turned to where Five once stood, now empty.

"You're a little shit." She called out as she swung open the door, only to be met with a grinning Five on the other side.

"What's the point of having powers if you just won't use them?" He mocked her, crossing his arms.

Della nodded slowly, staring over at him. With a nod he went crashing back into the wall behind him. His eyes widened with surprise as he tested around, wondering if he could move, but she had him pressed tight against the wall.

"Been practicing?"

She snorted, making her way towards him. "Guess."

"This is better than last time." He chuckled when she let go, he stretched out his arms and adjusted the sleeves of his blazer. "I don't want anymore heart scares, Del."

Della shrugged, "It'll be harder now, considering you're in the body of a 15 year old. They're not as prone to heart attacks as the elderly."

His eyes narrowed, "For the last time, I am not an elder."

"Yeah, well." She pouted, "58's not to far from the grave, pal."

"Pal?"

She pursed her lips, backing up towards the living room. "I said what I said."

Five followed as they entered the empty living room. The couch was now abandoned, and the apartment was eerily quiet. She wondered where Diego and Lila were, considering they had nowhere else to go.

"I regret ever talking to you at the commission." He shook his head, "I still don't know why I did."

"Because you were lonely." She joked, flopping down onto the couch. "Everyone needs somebody."

"Not me."

Della raised a brow, stretching across the cushions, resting her tired head against a fluffy pillow.

"Than what am I doing here?"