Fifty

Chapter Fifty:

"I told you."

Della jumped, eyes wide and heart pounding. Alfred stood behind her, a wicked smile on his face.

That didn't matter, no, what mattered was the bodies sprawled out across the barn, battered with bullet holes. Her eyes landed on Five, unmoving on the ground. Della let out a scream, lurching herself towards him.

Her world seemed to stop, all she could see was him, just lying there.

A hand grabbed ahold of her arm, yanking her back. "You bitch!" She yelled, noticing The Handler in the entryway, a gun at her feet. Lila sat on the ground, looking completely confused.

"You know what's happening to you." Alfred mumbled in her ear, "And I can control it."

Della shoved away from him, swinging an arm out only for him to catch it. "Too slow," He told her.

Pain flared in her shoulder, shooting down to her back. She winced, eyes watering at the realization. "Get off of me." She seethed, trying to get to Five.

She willed for something to happen, for something to fly to her hand or to take him out. It seemed everything was frozen, and all she could do was look at the family she'd grown to love scattered, lifeless.

She stilled, staring at Five. He was dead. She could see blood leak onto his white collar, coming up from his chest. His forehead was glossy with blood, his eyes closed.

Alfred's hand loosened, and she spun with the rest of her strength, kicking out his legs from under him. He fell to the ground, and she threw herself in the opposite direction. Della stumbled to the hard surface next to Five, breath caught in her throat.

"Oh my god," She whispered, grabbing ahold of a hand, "No, no, shit, shit. Five! Come on!"

He was so still, "Come on!"

Della nudged his shoulder, this had to be a joke. No way, no way was he dead. "Please, wake up!"

Searing pain shot down her back, starting at her neck. Della gasped, sitting up. Her chest tightened, something tearing through her.

"No. Stop." She mumbled, shaking her head. She knew this was the work of Alfred, she refused to look anywhere but the boy next to her. "Make it stop—"

A forceful hand landed on her shoulder, yanking her back. Della shook her head, ignoring the flaring sensation shoot through her. It was hard to breath, her chest heaved, desperate for air. Her hand slipped from Five's, being hauled away. "No, don't take me from him!"

This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening. The Handler wasn't supposed to win, this wasn't fair.

"I see the pain in your eyes." Alfred laughed as she tried shaking him off, trying to get back to Five. She looked over to Lila, who watched with wide eyes. Della could see the fear, but this was her doing, she deserved everything coming her way.

"Look what you did!" Della yelled, kicking at the man grabbing her. "You killed them! You killed everyone!"

Diego was on his back farther away, eyes wide, stuck open in shock. She was crying now, and she didn't care.

"Get off of me!" She screamed, trying to pry him off. His grip was too tight, his other hand landing on her neck. She cried out, still reaching for Five.

"I can't leave him here!" Della yelled, "Not here—"

"Shut up!" Alfred huffed, grip tightening. She writhed around, fear taking over. She was getting too far away from him, she needed to be there with him, for when he woke up. Because he would, he had too.

Della shook with anger, with sorrow, with everything she had. Each time Alfred went to haul her away, the more it made her tick. He held her against him, grip tightening with every move. "You'll never see him again," he whispered.

Della's mind went blank, she was so tired. They had tried over and over again to get home, to win this, and look what happened. She was alone, right back where she started. She closed her eyes, letting out a scream worth years of anger. For her parents, who she never got to truly know, for the day The Handler had kicked her awake and offered a new life, for the six bodies sprawled out on a dirty barn floor, all lost to a world that didn't deserve them.

The grip around her was gone, Della opened her eyes and glanced back, Alfred was outside in a heap, having flown through the side of the barn. The girl wiped her eyes,

"I see you're having a blast," The Handler's voice quipped, watching from her spot.

Della paused, glaring at the woman. She shook her head, "Why are you doing this?"

"It's my job," She smiled.

She raced to Five's side yet again, holding onto his hand, afraid to let go. He was pale, but that boy had always been pale. "Come on, open your eyes." She whispered, "For me, please. You're not dying here."

Della sobbed, they were dead. Her new friends, her brother, even Five. All of them, gone. And for some reason she was still here.

"Five!" She yelled, shaking him. "You gotta wake up—"

His eyes suddenly were open, searching hers. They were full of confusion, shock and so much pain. A smile found her frantic face, despite it all, because he was alive. For now, at least. "Thank god— thank you, keep your eyes open for me, alright?"

"I've had enough of this." Alfred's voice boomed, he was rushing at her in an instant. The girl yelped as a foot connected with her back.

"Do it, Alfred." The Handler's voice rose.

Another blow to her side, she shrieked holding her stomach. Her skin felt as if it was on fire as the man grabbed ahold of her hair, pulling her back.

"No—" She whispered, throat burning. She reached for Five's hand, as if he could anchor her down with him. Her fingers brushed his, and something collided with her head.

"Please don't hurt him," Was the last thing she remembered saying before darkness engulfed her.