Chapter 35 - Listen closely

Draco's POV 

"She called me a 'good friend'! What the hell?" I say to Blaise whose sitting across the table from me. 

"Wait, are you telling me you spent the entire night with her and you didn't hit that?" Blaise looks appalled. "Come on man, even I know you can do better than that." 

"I know." I glare at him. 

"You know what your problem is? You're expecting everything to just fall into place with her. Which is understandable, man. I mean when have you ever actually had to work to get a lay." 

"Its not about getting laid Blaise. Its about having her trust me completely, getting her in so deep that she feels there is no way out but to join me and the Dark Lord." 

"Well either way, you're not doing enough. By the looks of it she's not going to come to you that easily. You need to find out exactly what she wants and give it to her." Blaise says. 

"Alright, I see where you're going with this." I say. "How about we cast a little eavesdropping spell." I pull out my wand a smirk appears on Blaises face. "We'll listen in on her private conversation to get a sense of what she wants."

"Now we're talking!"

I hold my wand under the table and aim it at the end of the Gryffindor table.  "Expendohear." I whisper. 

I put my wand up to my ear and start to quietly hear Jess's voice radioing out of it. 

"Is it working?" Blaise asks. 

I nod. 

"Whats she saying?" He asks. 

"Urgh, Grangers talking about some essays shes been writing. Gee she's dull." I look over at Jess, shes seems bored listening to it as well. 

"Its just if the professor had bothered to research it properly I think he would have given me a better mark. But I'll get another teacher to look over it, they'll have to give me an A+." Granger drones on. 

"What mark did you originally get?" Jess asks. 

"Only an A." She says. "I know right, how terrible, it just wont do!" 

Jess just laughs at her. 

"Whats she saying now?" 

I listen in, "Toast...She says she likes toast." 

"Seriously, this is all we're getting? How boring. Sorry man but your girl isn't very interesting." Blaise says. 

"Its not her, it's the company she entertains." I explain. "She actually has quite an adventurous nature. She can hold a stimulating conversation all on her own if she wants to." 

"You sound like you actually like her?" 

"Don't be silly Blaise."  I hold my wand up again.

"So I know we've been dancing around the subject all morning, but do you want to tell me what happened yesterday?" Granger says. 

"What part?" 

"Well I know about the fight between you and Harry, but why would you leave with Malfoy?! And you missed you're last two classes! I had to cover for you, told the professors you were sick." 

"Thanks for saving my arse in class Hermione. But as for the Draco thing, he was just being a good friend. Helping me get away for a while." 

"That's all? I know this isn't the first time you've hung around with him. And you already know my views on it. Its not a good idea." 

"I know what you think, and what everyone else thinks about him. But he's different with me. And don't worry I've got it all under control. I'm not going to go falling in love with him or anything." Jess says and my heart sinks. 

"She just said she wasn't going to fall in love with me." I tell Blaise. 

"Well, shes clearly delusional. I know you can make it happen, man. Give it a while and she'll eat her words." 

"So you don't like him like that?" Granger asks. 

Jess hesitates, "Well..." 

"Jesinta No! Don't let yourself crush on him even a little!" 

"Believe me, I'm trying to suppress it as best I can. But don't worry, I won't let myself get in too deep. I can't" 

So she likes me a little... well its a start.