Chapter 31 - Cold Heartstrings

"Really?" He says raising an eyebrow. 

I nod.

"I guess that kiss yesterday made you realise what you were missing hey?" He smirks, proud of himself. 

Although this was true I couldn't tell him that, instead I just roll my eyes at him. 

"Actually, something else happened." I say. 

"What?" He asks. 

"I'd rather not talk about it." 

"Well that's ok, we can just make out then." He jokes. 

I roll my eyes again, but this time with a playful smile. 

"Oh come on, like you didn't enjoy kissing me." Draco adds. 

"It was a spell, that's all." 

"Well, when you change your mind I'll be waiting." He winks. 

"When? I think you mean 'if'." 

He shakes his head, "No I definitely meant when." 

*         *         * 

Its Monday afternoon and I'd managed to successfully evade Harry and Ginny since the incident Saturday night. But unfortunately my next class is Charms, which Harry is in. 

I get there early but he's already waiting outside the classroom.

I avoid his eye contact and try my best to pretend I don't see him but to my dismay he goes out of his way to talk to me, "Jesinta, please can we talk?" He says. 

"Fine." I sigh, "Over here." I walk to the courtyard directly across from the classroom and Harry follows.

I stand opposite him with my arms folded, waiting for him to speak again. 

"Please forgive me Jesinta. I was so stupid. I got completely caught up and forgot about what's actually important to me." 

"And what's important to you?" I say in monotone.

"You!" He desperately grasps to hold my hands but I immediately pull away. 

"It certainly doesn't seem like it." 

"I made a mistake. And I know its no excuse, but I've been under so much pressure lately. Dumbledore's been getting me to... well it doesn't matter. But I promise you I won't let anything get in the way of us anymore. I'll never do anything like this ever again." 

"I saw the way you looked at her." I say almost whispering. 

"It's nothing compared to the way I feel about you." Harry says. "Please, you have to believe me!" 

I remain silent and can see Harry starting to grow more irritated at my lack of co-operation with this conversation. 

"Come on, Jesinta! We're good together, what we have means more than a few misjudged moments with Ginny." 

"A few!?" I glare at him.

He's speechless.

I talk first, "I bet you didn't mean to let that slip you bastard!" I turn to leave. 

He stops me by grabbing my arm forcefully and I can feel the bruises starting to form. 

"Don't do this Jesinta! Don't walk out on me! I need you! You're everything to me!" 

I laugh at him and pull my arm away, "I'm you're everything?! Seriously? You cheated on me Harry!! Several f*cking times!" 

Draco's POV 

On arrival at Charms class I hear yelling in the adjacent courtyard. 

"You cheated on me Harry!! Several f*cking times!" I hear Jess's voice yelling. "Just leave me the hell alone!"

So that's what happened between them. I march straight into the courtyard and right up to Potter.

"What are you doing here Malfoy? We're in the middle of something!" Potter says angrily. 

"Not anymore, you'll leave now if you know what's good for you." I say sternly. 

He grabs Jess's arm and yanks her away from me. "Lets go." He tries to drag her away, but she refuses. 

"Stop Harry, you're hurting my arm!" She wails, tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

Without even thinking I pull out my wand, "Everte Statum!" The spell throws Potter backwards, leaving Jess free to get away from him. 

She rushes to stand a few meters behind me while Potter furiously gets to his feet and pulls out his own wand. 

Immediately I shout, "Expelliarmus!" Disarming him. 

"Draco, lets just go!" Jess says from behind me while crying. 

Realisation washes over Potter, "What is this?" Potter directs his question to Jess, "Are you friends with him or something?!" 

She doesn't answer him.

He looks at me now, "You stay away from her, you hear me!" He yells. 

I storm up to him, my fury building from the way he's treated Jess. I've never seen her upset before and it pulls at my cold heartstrings. I didn't know I could even feel this. 

I clench my fist and throw all my weight into my right arm as I swing it towards him, punching him directly in the face.

He's knocked out cold. 

I walk back to Jess, "You wanna get out of here?" I ask. 

"Desperately." She replies delicately grabbing my left hand as I lead her away.