Chapter 37 - Date?

I’d decided to take Draco up on his offer to stay at Malfoy Manor for Christmas. I didn’t much like the idea of anyone finding out though so as the train prepares to leave Hogwarts I find my way to an empty compartment. I didn’t want to sit with the Gryffindor’s to be drilled about my holiday plans and I didn’t want to sit with Draco to add fuel to the fiery rumours already surrounding our friendship.

However not long after the train leaves my compartment door slides open revealing a very smug looking Draco.

“Knew I could get you to come home with me.” He smirks.

I smile, “Well thanks for inviting me, are you sure it’s ok?” I ask.

“Of course.” He takes a seat opposite me. “However I have neglected to tell you my mother is throwing a dinner party tonight. Sort of a holiday tradition.”

“Oh I might be a bit out of place then, I can make alternative arrangements for the night.” I say. “Get out of the way.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, you’ll fit in just fine as my date.” He says coolly.

“Your date?” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“Uh, well yeah. I mean, we’ll both be there…”

“Chill Draco. I’m messing with you.”

He attempts to use his signature glare on me but can’t stop a slight smile shining through.

“Oh ok, let me guess, a bunch of rich wizarding families?” I ask.

“Actually yes. You sound like you know these kind of dinners well?”

“How could I? I don’t come from a wizarding family remember?” I lie through my teeth.

“Actually Jess… I know you’re a pureblood.” He glances up at me to see my reaction.

“What? How would you know that?”

“My mother checked, that’s all. I could never have brought a mudblood back with me. She wouldn’t have it. So it’s a good thing you’re a pureblood. Why not embrace it?”

“A good thing?” I almost laugh at him. “My family is the worst thing to happen to me, as far as I’m concerned I never had a family. Embracing something I got from them…” I trail off, “I can’t talk about this.”

At that moment the compartment door slides open once more, its Luna Lovegood.

“Hello Jesinta.” She says in her usual dazed tone, “Hello Malfoy.”

Draco makes no attempt to welcome her, doubt he knows who she even is.

“Hello Luna.” I smile, “would you like to join us?”

“Thank you that would be lovely.” She takes a seat next to me.

“Well I’m off, back to the slytherin compartments.” Draco stands abruptly, “Nice seeing you Looney.” Well I guess he has heard of her, I shoot him a nasty look for his name calling. He innocently raises his eyebrows back at me. “I’ll meet you after Jess.”

He swaggers away leaving me to converse with Luna.

“Is Draco Malfoy your boyfriend?” She asks.

“No.”

“Oh. I think you would make a lovely pair.”

“You do? Why would you think that?”

“Just observations, I like to people watch. You seem to bring out the best in him. Bertie bot?” She offers me a jelly bean.

“No thank you.” Not since the bogey flavoured one I got a few years ago. “You think I bring out the best in him.”

“Oh yes. Just because everyone else hates him doesn’t mean he’s not likable to some. You seem to like him a fair bit.”

“I actually do like him a fair bit Luna. I just don’t tell anyone.”

“Mmm, everyone’s too focused on other people’s opinions and reactions.”

For the rest of the trip I talk with Luna and read through a copy of The Quibbler.

Once the train stops I gather my belongings and say my goodbyes to everybody.

“See you in two weeks guys!” I wave to everyone.

Once they are out of sight I look around to find Draco, he’s leaning on the far brick wall watching me.

He nods me over, I immediately oblige.

“You ready to go?” He asks.

“Yeah.”

He takes my trunk and we walk out of the station together headed for Malfoy Manor.