Chapter 6 - Quidditch Tryouts

Jesinta's POV

"Jesinta! You survived!" Hermione exclaimed as I step into the common room. 

She was sitting with Harry and Ginny by the fireplace. Ron must already be resting up for tomorrow.

"Yes, I got through it." I laughed.

"I hope Malfoy wasn’t too awful." Ginny says with sympathy. 

"Actually no, he kept his usual 'charming' personality to a minimum tonight thankfully."

"Well that’s something new for Malfoy." Hermione raised an eyebrow. 

"If he gives you any trouble let me know." Harry chimed in and everyone nodded along with him. 

"Don't worry about me guys, I'm tougher than I look." I give them a reassuring look. "Well I think I’ll go get some sleep." I stand to leave and Hermione follows me, leaving Ginny with Harry. Maybe she can make a move on him now that they're alone I thought to myself. 

                        *                         *                         *

It was the day of Quidditch tryouts and Ron couldn’t be more nervous. 

I was sitting in the common room with Harry waiting for Hermione and Ron to come downstairs before heading to breakfast. 

“I hope Ron does ok today.” Harry worried. “Its just if he doesn’t perform well and I still put him on the team everyone will think its because he’s my best friend. But Ron’s an excellent player, he really is. I know he would be great for the team.” 

“He just needs to believe in himself.” I say. 

“I’ve given him all the reassurance I can.” Harry sighed. 

“Well I have this theory.” I got Harry’s attention. “If someone is told something enough they will start to believe it." 

“Um?” Harry wondered.

“What I mean to say is, if Ron was to think something magical took over his playing abilities, even if it actually didn’t, as long as he believed it did he would think he could do no wrong. Hence confidence. Hence a great tryout.” I explained

“But what would…Liquid Luck!” 

“My thoughts exactly Harry.” I say.

“You’re brilliant Jesinta!” he pulls me in for a hug and kisses my cheek. 

                        *                         *                         *

Down at the Quidditch pitch it was a perfect day. The sun was shinning and it was actually a bit warm, it reminded me of Australia. I take a seat in the stands making sure to keep an eye out for Hermione and Ginny, who were with Ron giving him one last confidence boost.

Not that he needed it. The Liquid Luck sham worked. Harry had pretended to give it him at breakfast. Since that moment Ron had been walking on air. Good for him I thought. 

I patiently wait alone for the tryout game to begin with no sign of the girls. Just then someone sits next to me. I turn to look at him, its Draco. 

“What's up Draco?” He’s sitting so close I can feel his leg brush up against mine.

“Thought I’d check out what team Potter puts together. I’m the Slytherin captain you know.” He boosts. 

“Harry’s team is gonna be killer, I’ve seen a few of them practicing this morning. You’ve got your work cut out for you Draco.” 

“Doubt it.” He’s so sure of himself. 

I turn my attention back to the field where absolutely nothing is happening yet so it really doesn't make for a convincing distraction. Draco seems content sitting by me.

"Is flying fun? I ask. 

"Of course it is!" he replied like it was a stupid question. "Wait, you haven't tried?"

I shake my head. 

"That’s ridiculous! Why the bloody hell not?" he asks. 

"I guess I'm afraid of falling." I admit while turning my head to make eye contact. He stares back. "And don't you dare make fun of me for that Draco Malfoy!"

"Me? Make fun of you? I wouldn't dream of it!" he says with a cheeky grin. I try not to smile at him, but can't help it.

"But seriously you're missing out on something." he says.

I see Ginny and Hermione walking up the steps towards me. 

“What are you doing here Malfoy?” A hostile voice emerges from Hermione. 

“Well that’s my queue to leave.” He stands, before he goes he leans down to whisper in my ear. “If you ever want to actually see a good Quidditch player come watch me sometime.” He smirks and joins his friends at the front of the stand.

“What was that about!?” Ginny says. 

“Oh just Draco being Draco I suppose.” I look towards the pitch as the game begins. 

Ron was playing amazingly! Blocking the Quaffle every time it got near the goals, he would be picked as Keeper for sure. The Bludgers were weaving around the field harming anyone that got in their way, but those trying out for Beaters were quick to defend themselves and their team mates. There was a few hits but nothing serious. It was a good game to watch. 

Draco was standing at the front of the stands with his friends Crabbe and Goyle. Pointing and laughing at the players who weren’t doing so well. I hated when he acted like that. They seemed to have had enough and started down the stairs. However I noticed Draco glance back at me before exiting. He seemed to like to do that. Look at me that is. I caught him staring all week, what’s with that? Its like he just does it to annoy me.