Chapter 1 - A New Start

*Disclaimer - This is a work of fan fiction using characters from the Harry Potter world, which is trademarked by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim any ownership over them or the world of Harry Potter. This story is for entertainment only and I realize I have not followed the original story line. I have purposely changed and added things to suit my ideas. 

Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think of the story, I am not an experienced writer so please forgive me for any errors I make. I hope you enjoy my story :) 

This chapter is just an introduction to the characters and Hogwarts,  the next chapter is where it starts to get more interesting so please continue reading. 

Chapter 1 - A New Start 

It was my first day starting at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I'm 16 and starting my 6th year of magic schooling. Up until now I was attending Revel Bay Academy of Elite Witches & Wizards, I doubt any Hogwarts students would have heard of it because its on an island just off the Queensland coastline in Australia.

I went through a pretty rough stage back home and figured it was time to get away. And what better way to do that then to go to the other side of the world. So here I am. 

As school had already started a week ago I missed the initial induction of new students so Professor McGonagall came to greet me at The Leaky Cauldron where I was staying and we used floo powder to get to Hogwarts. 

We arrived in Headmaster Dumbledores office and he kindly welcomes me. 

"Now its time for you to get sorted into your House Miss Hartley." He says. 

"Sorted?" I ask. 

"Oh yes. There are four houses of Hogwarts, named after the four founders. They are Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Slytherin."

I must have to pull a house name out of a hat I thought to myself. 

 "Miss Hartley, sit over here while I place the sorting hat on your head."  Professor Mcgonagall says.

To my surprise the sorting hat was alive and had quite the personality!

As the hat's placed on my head I can feel it linking itself into my mind, reading me like a book. McGonagall steps away so only I can hear what it says. 

"Well... you're a strong witch, no doubt about that. Smart too...Creative...You're bold and brave." There was a long pause. "What’s this? a dark side...You have all of the makings of a great Slytherin you know. I sense a lot of hate, hostility and deception in you, a lust for revenge. It seems you would belong there..." He paused I was sure he had made up his mind to put me in Slytherin, but I didn’t like the things he was saying about me. I had a dark side, I know I did, I'd been through a lot last year. I had used all of my strength to get through my troubles and I knew that my loyalties and good heart overshadowed my hard times. I thought about this. "Well maybe you're right," the sorting hat added while reading my thoughts. "I suppose you will be a...GRYFFINDOR!" 

I was relieved, although I didn’t know the type of people Slytherin possessed I had a feeling that being in that house wasn't a good thing. 

"Well done dear." McGonagall said to me with a warm smile. "Come on then, I'll show you to your house common room so you can get settled." 

We walked through the castle until reaching the staircase, McGonagall told me to hold onto the rail and for good reason to! As soon as I grabbed hold the staircase started moving, it was changing direction all on its own. This was the most magical place I have ever been to. There was so much to take in, so much beauty surrounding me. There was countless moving portraits in golden frames covering every inch of the walls of the magnificent 7 floor staircase.