Shake Your Groove Thing

Season 1, Episode 5: Shake Your Groove Thing
Overall Episode Number: 5
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

Remember when you were a kid and your biggest worry was, like, if you'd get a bike for your birthday, or if you get to eat cookies for breakfast. Being an adult? Totally overrated. I mean, seriously, don't be fooled by all the hot shoes and the great sex and the no parents anywhere telling you to do. Adulthood is responsibility. Responsibility, it really does suck. Really, really sucks. Adults have to be places and do things and earn a living and pay the rent. And if you're training to be a surgeon, holding a human heart in your hands... Hello! Talk about responsibility. Kinda makes bikes and cookies look really really good, doesn't it? The scariest part about responsibility: when you screw up and let it slip right through your fingers.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Derek was walking and eating at the same time. He runs into George and Meredith at the elevator.

Derek smiled. "Hey, I hear you did a CABG with Burke."

Meredith nodded. "Yeah."

"Did you get to hold the heart?" Derek asked.

"Yeah." Meredith replied.

Derek smiled. "It's an amazing feeling. You never forget your first time."

"It was pretty great just to watch. Vicarious thrills, you know?" George assessed.

Meredith nodded once more. "Yeah."

The elevator bell rings. George and Meredith get in. She looks out of it. Derek stands outside the elevator, looking concerned.

Derek looked awkward and concerned. "See you later."

Meredith looked at him. "Bye."

/ / /

Mackenzie sat next to Izzie, who had just finished making plans for a party. She was going to introduce her new boyfriend to George and Meredith.

"How many people did you invite, Izzie? Your food orders make you sound like you invited the entire hospital." Mackenzie joked.

Izzie smiled. "I've invited some people from the hospital. Oh! That reminds me. Your dad is invited, too. Does he like parties?"

Mackenzie looked at Izzie. "Just don't give him more than 4 drinks. But you didn't hear that from me."

Izzie chuckled. "I won't say a word. Do you want to hang out today? I know we haven't really gotten a chance to yet."

Mackenzie smiled. "Izzie, I'd love to hang out with you. You're beautiful and an awesome doctor. I think we'll have a lot to talk about."

Izzie smiled. "Yes we will."

Let the bonding begin!

/ / /

Izzie and Mackenzie were sitting on empty beds in the interns' hangout corridor. They had written down 10 questions for each other to answer.

Izzie's questions with Mackenzie's answers:

1. Favorite color?
Pink.

2. What is one mistake you could never forgive in a relationship?
Infidelity is something I can never forgive.

3. Who in your family are you closest to?
My parents aside, I'm closest to my Aunt Amelia.

4. If you had to choose between saving your mom or your dad, who would you choose and why?
I'd want to save both of them... but I'd have to pick my papa. He always tries to do what's best for me even if it isn't what's best for him. I hate this question.