Begin the Begin

Season 2, Episode 13:  Begin the Begin
Overall Episode Number:  22
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

Fresh starts. Thanks to the calendar, they happen every year. Just set your watch to January. Our reward for surviving the holiday season is a new year. Bringing on the great tradition of New Year's resolutions. Put your past behind you and start over. It's hard to resist the chance at a new beginning. A chance to put the problems of last year to bed.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Bailey, Alex, Izzie and George are doing rounds. Mackenzie has decided to join them. They enter a patient's room. A reasonably good looking heart transplant patient. He is lying in a hospital bed as a nurse fixes his I.V.

"Denny Duquette." Bailey said.

Denny smiles at the resident. "Hey Dr. Bailey."

"I hope seeing you here means that they finally found you a heart."

Denny chuckled. "No offense doctor, but I'm not a big fan of hospitals. It takes something pretty special to get me in here."

"What do we know about Mr. Duquette?" Bailey asked Izzie.

Denny smiles at Izzie. "Capricorn, single, loves to travel and cook."

"Denny be quiet. Let her show off." Bailey chastised.

Izzie looks down, smiling. "Denny Duquette, 36. Admitted today for a heart transplant necessitated by a viral-cardiomyopathy."

Bailey nodded. "Hmm, and what does that mean?"

"That his heart is unable to fill and pump blood normally." Izzie answered.

Bailey nodded. "Good. Denny, this is Dr. Stevens. She'll be tending to your private surgery."

Denny grins. "So I guess I'll be seeing you around, Dr. Stevens."

Alex looks on, less than amused as Izzie smiles back.

When Bailey and the interns leave, Mackenzie stays behind. She sits in a plastic chair next to Denny's bed, and extends her hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Denny. I'm Mackenzie Shepherd-Sloan."

Denny smiles and shakes her hand. "It's very nice to meet you, Mackenzie. I got a feeling that you and I are going to be good friends."

/ / /

Derek is standing in an elevator, reading a paper with two other nurses. The doors open and reveal Meredith standing outside, dressed to go home. She walks in and the two nurses leave.

"Hi." Meredith greets.

Derek puts the paper away. "Hi. You leaving?"

Meredith nodded. "80 hour limit. You?"

"Surgery was postponed."

It looks like he's checking her out. He can't stop smiling or looking at her. Meredith looks over at him.

"I have a dog."

Derek smiles. "You have a dog."

"My point is I have a dog," Meredith restates.

Derek is full on grinning now. "You have a dog. Oh, you know what? I love dogs."

Meredith looks at him. "I've moved on, so don't give me that look."

He moves from his position against the wall and stands up close to her. "What look?"

Meredith glances at him. "That look. Our look. I'm over you."