Deny, Deny, Deny

Season 2, Episode 4:  Deny, Deny, Deny
Overall Episode Number:  13
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired, we deny that we're scared, we deny how badly we want to succeed, and most importantly, we deny that we're in denial. We only see what we wanna see and believe what we want to believe. And it works. We lie to ourselves so much that after a while, the lies start to seem like the truth. We deny so much that we can't recognize the truth, right in front of our faces.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Bailey was making rounds with Alex, Izzie, Meredith, and George.

"I want everyone focused today. With Cristina out, we're short an intern and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those days. And Karev, see the chief by the end of the day," Bailey informed.

"What for?" Alex questioned.

Bailey raised an eyebrow. "Do I look psychic to you? He is the chief. He asked. You go."

"What did he do now?" Meredith whispered to George.

George shrugged. "Maybe he gave the chief syphilis."

/ / /

Mackenzie was sat in Cristina's hospital room. After hearing what happened to her from Addison, the young girl decided that she was going to hang out with the recovering intern for today. Mackenzie watched as Bailey and her remaining interns entered the room to perform the round on Cristina.

"Cristina Yang. Post-op day 3 from a unilateral salpingectomy," Meredith informed.

Cristina nodded. "And ready to get back to work."

"Is she?" Helen Yang – Cristina's mother – asked.

Cristina huffed. "I'm taking solids and my pain is controlled with oral meds. I'm ready."

"Didn't the nurse say this morning you had a fever?" Mackenzie questioned.

"Mackenzie." Cristina glared.

Bailey looked at her intern. "Cristina, did you have a fever?"

Cristina gave a shrug. "Temp spiked to 101 last night. Big deal."

"She worked 2 shifts last month with a 102 degree flu," George reminded.

"Yes. Exactly, George. Thank you," Cristina agreed.

"And we appreciate your dedication but you're staying in bed until it normalizes." Bailey said.

Helen sighed. "I keep telling her there's more to life than surgery and career."

"Mother... go upholster something," Cristina begged.

Bailey sighed. "Look, I need you to relax, shut up, and get better. You're a patient this week so you can be a doctor next week. Understand?"

The others moved out of the room, but Cristina pulled Meredith back. "Mer. Mer. You cannot leave me alone with her and Mackenzie. I'm flying over the cuckoo's nest here. You have to save me."

"You need time to heal." Meredith argued.

"I'm healed." Cristina said as Meredith walked out of the room. "I'm healed!!" Cristina looked annoyed, glanced at her mother and Mackenzie, and then looked away. "Oh, God."

/ / /

Derek was arriving at an elevator when he saw Meredith walking by.

"You skipping rounds?" He questioned.