Tell Me Sweet Little Lies

Season 2, Episode 14: Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
Overall Episode Number: 23
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

As doctors we're trained to skeptical because our patients lie to us all the time. The rule is: every patient is a liar until proven honest. Lying is bad. Or so we're told. Constantly, from birth. Honesty is the best policy. The truth shall set you free. I chop down the cherry tree. Whatever. The fact is, lying is a necessity. We lie to ourselves because the truth, the truth freaking hurts.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Bailey is lying down, being given an ultrasound by Addison in an exam room. Mackenzie is at Bailey's side.

"There he is. Heartbeat's strong. Since there's no dilation or effacement, looks like nothing more than Braxton Hicks."

Bailey sits up. "Except I know the mild concerned tone. I've used it myself from time to time."

Addison sighs. "Sometimes false labor is the body's way of telling you to slow down."

"I'm a surgeon," Bailey argued.

"I understand the realities of your job, but you need to understand the realities of your pregnancy and take it easy. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Bailey nods. "Uh, yeah for starters you can help me get up off this table."

"I can help, Dr. Bailey," Mackenzie offers.

Izzie knocks on the door and enters. "Dr. Bailey. The GI lab has a couple of questions about Miss Miyazaki's esophagram."

"Well let's go." Bailey walks out of the room.

Addison looks at Izzie. "Dr. Stevens." Izzie stops following Bailey. "Keep an eye on her today. Watch out for any painful contractions. More than 5 in an hour. Anything that could indicate pre-term labor." Izzie shakes her head. "The favor is not for me Stevens, you know that." Izzie nods and walks off.

Mackenzie looks at Addison. "Is Dr. Bailey okay?"

Addison kissed her blonde head. "She'll be okay, sweetie. I have Izzie looking out for her."

/ / /

Derek heads out of the room into the hallway where Cristina is dumping some waste into a waste bin. They start walking down the hall together.

"Yang, you were a little harsh in there."

Cristina glared. "He was lying. Besides your harsh is another man's refreshing."

Derek shrugs. "Well he's in shock. The man's lost his fingers and his only remaining habit in one day. We need to be compassionate."

Cristina looks upset. "Compassionate?"

"Yes. It's an emotion. Have you ever heard of it?"

"Oh, have you?" Derek looks shocked at Cristina's audacity. "She's barely back on her feet and you've got her calling you McDreamy again. You know, I was just telling the patient the truth. So you might want to try it sometime."

Cristina walks off, and Derek sighs. If she was trying to make him feel guilty about Meredith... it was working.

/ / /

Mackenzie decided to eat lunch with Derek today, and sat down next to him in a conference room. Derek didn't look interested in his food.

"Papa? You okay?"

Derek snapped out of his thoughts and plastered on a smile for Mackenzie. "I'm just fine, honey."

Mackenzie raised an eyebrow. "You don't look fine. You look sad."