Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Season 2, Episode 1:  Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
Overall Episode Number:  10
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

To be a good surgeon, you have to think like a surgeon. Emotions are messy. Tuck them neatly away and step into a clean, sterile room where the procedure is simple. Cut, suture and close. But sometimes, you're faced with a cut that won't heal. A cut that rips its stitches wide open.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Derek, Mackenzie and Addison were in the lobby of the hospital.

Derek looked annoyed with Addison. "Addison, what are you doing here?"

Addison ignored his question. "Your hair's different."

Derek crossed his arms. "A lot of things are different."

Addison smiled. "It's longer. I like it. It's very Russell Crowe." She tried to run her fingers through his hair but he moved back.

Derek sighed. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here? You just pick up and leave everything? Your house, your practice, your friends? You had a life in Manhattan. Mackenzie had a life in Manhattan." Addison shot back.

"Had." Derek emphasized.

Addison nodded. "And now you have a girlfriend in Seattle. She seems sweet."

Derek glared. "The ice you're on. Thin."

Addison continued. "She's young. That whole wide-eyed, ooh he's-a-brain-surgeon thing happening, but still sweet. Which was what you were going for, right? The anti-Addison?"

Derek gave her a cold look. "If you came out here to try and win me back, forget about it."

"I did. I flew all the way across the country to reminisce over wedding photos, get drunk, fall into bed, and make you realize you can't live without me. I also flew all the way across the country to try and make things better with Mackenzie. Relax. Derek, I'm here for work. I'm helping the TTTS case you guys admitted last week and from Richard's briefing, I should be — " Addison was cut off by her husband.

"Richard, he knew you were coming out here?"

Addison nodded. "He asked me to come. Didn't he tell you?"

Derek shook his head. "No. He didn't."

Addison nodded. "Hmm. Surprise. The hair, though. You know I've always had a thing for Russell Crowe."

Mackenzie just sat in a chair, knowing that Addison coming back into her life was going to be a disaster.

/ / /

Meredith, Cristina and George were all sat at Joe's bar.

"Let's play a game of whose life sucks the most. I'll win. I always win." Meredith said.

Cristina shook her head. "No, you don't want to play with me."

Meredith looked at Cristina. "Oh, I do. I'll even go first. Derek's married. His wife is Mackenzie's stepmother."

George spat his beer out.

Cristina looked over at George. "George, beer is dripping from your nostrils."

Meredith shrugged. "Told you I'd win."

Cristina shook her head. "No, you didn't win."

"Did you hear me? I said Derek is married. As in pigheaded, adulterous, liar married. Nothing you could say could top that." Meredith said.