Losing My Religion

Season 2, Episode 27: Losing My Religion
Overall Episode Number: 36
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

It was the day after Denny's heart transplant.

The date was May 14, 2006.

Today was Mackenzie's 12th birthday.

Derek smiled when he went to wake his daughter up that morning. He couldn't believe that his only child was turning twelve today.

The neurosurgeon took in Mackenzie's sleeping figure, smiling more as he gazed upon her beautiful face. He was so incredibly lucky to have such an amazing daughter; in fact, Derek was so lucky that he sometimes wondered how on Earth he deserved to have her as his child.

After a few minutes, Derek decided to wake Mackenzie up.

"Mackenzie," he told her gently, brushing some of her hair out of her face. "Time to get up, baby girl."

Mackenzie stirred at the sound of her name being called. When she was fully awake, she was greeted by the sight of Derek's smiling face.

"Morning, Mom." She greeted quietly.

The neurosurgeon leaned over and kissed his daughter's head.

"Happy birthday, angel."

"Thank you," Mackenzie yawned, sitting up in her bed and stretching her arms. "Is there anything you and Addie have to do after work today? I was kind of hoping we could all eat dinner together tonight."

Derek smiled as he took a seat next to her on the bed. "If we're not too terribly busy, I don't see why we can't go out for dinner tonight, sweetheart." He checked his watch briefly, then focused his attention on his daughter once more. "Go ahead and get dressed for the day, okay, honey? And on the way to the hospital, we'll stop by the café you really like to grab some breakfast. Sound good?"

"Sounds good," Mackenzie agreed. She suddenly had a thought as Derek stood up from her bed. "Mama?"

"Yes, my princess?" Derek hummed, facing his daughter.

Mackenzie gave her mother a heartwarming smile. "I love you... and thank you for being an amazing mom."

Derek's heart swelled with pride. "Mama loves you more, pumpkin. And thank you for being the best daughter – I'm so happy and lucky to be your mother."

/ / /

Mackenzie's phone began to ring as soon as Derek parked the truck in the parking lot of SGH. She smiled when she read the caller ID: her dad, Mark.

"Hi, Daddy." She greeted after picking up the phone.

Mackenzie could practically hear Mark's smile through the phone. "Hey, sweetheart! Happy birthday!"

"Thank you, Daddy. And thank you for calling. For a minute there, I almost thought you forgot about my birthday," the girl admitted sheepishly.

Mark let out a small chuckle. "Are you kidding? I wouldn't forget your birthday; I never have and I never will."

Mackenzie giggled in response to Mark's words. "Thank you, Daddy – that made me smile. I'm a little sad that you're not here to celebrate... but getting a call from you is the next best thing, right?"

"Yes, you're absolutely right, kiddo." Mark agreed. "Though I can't be there with you to physically celebrate the day of your birth, I'm always with you in your heart. Now make sure you smile and have the best day you can have today, okay, baby girl?"