Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Season 2, Episode 12:  Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Overall Episode Number:  21
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

It's an urban myth that suicide rates spike at the holidays. Turns out, they actually go down. Experts think that people are less inclined to off themselves when surrounded by family. Ironically, that same family togetherness is thought to be the reason depression rates actually do spike at the holidays. Yeah, okay Izzie doesn't count.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

"Dr. Burke!"

Burke turned around to see Mackenzie had called his name. "Mackenzie, what's wrong? Is something going on with your asthma?"

"What? No, I'm fine. I just... wanted to give you a Christmas present. I thought it might make your day a bit better," Mackenzie said sheepishly at the end.

Burke relaxed and he gave the girl a smile. "You got me a Christmas present?"

"Of course I got you something; it would be very inconsiderate of me to not get you a gift for Christmas." Mackenzie replied.

"You didn't have to get me anything."

Mackenzie shrugged. "I wanted to. I think you'll really like it."

Burke gave her a smile. "I will be glad with whatever you've given me."

Mackenzie dug around in her bag, and pulled out a small yellow package. She handed it to the cardiothoracic surgeon.

Burke took the package with gratitude, and opened it. Inside was a black tie with two golden cuff links. Both had 'P.B.' engraved on them. "This is — I've been needing a new tie. And these cuff links... how did you know?"

"I may or may not have overheard your conversation with Papa about needing a new tie and wanting a new pair of cuff links for black tie events. Do you like them?" Mackenzie asked.

Burke gave her a smile. "I love them. Thank you very much for the thoughtful gift, Mackenzie."

"You're welcome, Dr. Burke. Merry Christmas," She bade as she walked down the corridor.

"Merry Christmas, little Shepherd."

/ / /

Bailey is looking quite pregnant walking down a hallway. She's taking a few deep breaths. Meredith, George, Izzie, Cristina and Alex tailing follow her a few feet behind her.

"Look at her belly. She's almost as wide as she is tall." George says to Meredith. Izzie grins at this.

Meredith squinted. "Are her ankles swollen? Is that why she's waddling?"

"What's gonna happen to us when she goes on leave?" Izzie asked.

"Leave? She's going on leave?" Cristina questioned.

Meredith looked at Cristina. "What do you think happens when people push babies out of their vaginas?"

George chuckles. "Do you think we're gonna get a new resident?"

Cristina looked at George. "What?"

Alex shook his head. "Nah. Probably just let us all walk around unattended. See how much damage we can do."

They stop walking as Bailey has stopped at a nurse's station still a few feet away.

Izzie glared at Alex. "Yeah, well you would know." Izzie rounds to the front, suddenly smiling. "Hey you guys, we should all get together and get Bailey a Christmas gift for the baby. Or we could um organize some sort of secret Santa thing."