Bring the Pain

Season 2, Episode 5: Bring the Pain
Overall Episode Number: 14
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

Pain comes in all forms. The small twinge, a bit of soreness, the random pain. The normal pains we live with every day. There's the kind of pain you can't ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out everything else. Makes the rest of the world fade away. Until all we can think about is how much we hurt. How we manage our pain is up to us. Pain. We anesthetize... ride it out, embrace it, ignore it... And for some of us, the best way to manage pain is to just push through it.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

In an E.R. room, George entered with Alex. Policemen were standing outside.

"Ok." George said as he entered.

A doctor presented. "Pete Willoughby, 25 year old, GSW to the chest. Immediate return of 860 ccs of blood from the chest."

Pete groaned. "Oh man! This hurts."

"He's put out more than 200 ccs in the past hour." The doctor said.

Pete groaned in pain. "They never tell you in the movies how much it hurts to get shot."

"Push morphine, 2mg. Alex, is this my case," George claimed.

Alex shook his head. "Morphine, 5mg. You didn't even call him."

"I don't have to call him. I was here first," George retorted.

Alex snorted. "You got here first because I let you. ... Where's his chest films?"

George growled. "I got it. You always get the surgery. Today, I'm getting a surgery."

The doctor sighed. "Guys. Knock it off. He's one of Seattle's finest. You've got an entire police force watching you..." Police are watching from a nearby window.

"Page Dr. Burke. Let him know I'm bringing up a GSW," George told.

Alex shook his head. "No, that "we" are bringing up a GSW."

George rolled his eyes in annoyance. Could his day get any worse?

/ / /

Derek and Meredith run into each other in the hall.

"Meredith," Derek acknowledged.

"Your wife is looking for you." Meredith said.

Derek sighed. "Oh, my God. This is hard for me, Meredith."

Meredith gave him a hurt look. "Well, let me make it easy then. I'm not gonna be that woman. The one who breaks up a marriage or begs you to want me. You can sign the papers or you cannot. The choice is yours. Either way, when it comes to this relationship, I'm out." She expressed. Derek looked at her. "Now, where's this patient I'm supposed to be helping you with?"

Derek pointed behind him. "Down there."

Meredith started walking that way. Derek followed.

Whatever he decided to do, it would change his relationship with Mackenzie, Meredith, and Addison.

/ / /

Mackenzie looked over from her spot at the nurse's station to see Bailey.

"Good morning, Dr. Bailey."

Bailey glanced over at Mackenzie with a small smile. "Good morning, Mack Attack. How're you doing? I know this whole... situation with your stepmom hasn't exactly been a walk in the park for you."