Yesterday

Season 2, Episode 18: Yesterday
Overall Episode Number: 27
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, here's what I've decided. There's no such thing as a grown up. We move on, we move out, we move away from our families and form our own. But the basic insecurities, the basic fears and all those old wounds just grow up with us. And just when we think that life and circumstance have forced us to truly, once and for all become an adult... your mother says something like that. Or worse. Something like that. We get bigger, we get taller, we get older. But for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids. Running around the playground trying desperately to fit in.

- Mackenzie Shepherd-Sloan

/ / /

Meredith is typing at a computer standing up at a nurses' station. A very very hot young man wearing a leather jacket comes up to her and peers over her shoulder.

His name?

Mark Sloan.

"Invasive non-cell. With a history of COPD," Mark observes. He shrugs. "That guy's pretty much a goner, huh?"

Meredith smiles. "Sensitivity. I like that in a stranger. Are you new here?"

"Visiting. Confounded by all the rain and it's only my first day in town," Mark answers.

"You get used to it." Meredith moves away from the computer and walks a few feet away.

Mark follows her. "Makes me wanna stay in bed all day."

Meredith smiles. "We just met and already you're talking about bed. Not very subtle."

Derek stands up, noticing Mark through the window of the adjacent office behind the nurses' station. Addison comes up the hallway and looks shocked.

Mark chuckles. "Subtle has never been my strong suit. So... do you ever go out with co-workers?"

Meredith smiles, "I um...make it a rule not to."

"Then I am so glad that I don't work here," Mark flirts.

"Are you hitting on me? In a hospital?" Merediths asks.

"Would that be wrong?"

"Meredith," Meredith introduces.

George is also looking through the window, annoyed.

Mark and Meredith shake hands. All of a sudden, Derek punches Mark really hard across the face. Mark falls to the ground.

Derek shakes his hand after punching Mark. "Aah!"

Meredith looks at Derek, stunned. "What the hell was that?!"

"That was Mark."

/ / /

In a conference room, where Derek is now sitting down. Addison puts an ice pack on it and Derek removes it. Richard is pacing around angrily. Addison sits a few chairs away from Derek.

"Punching out people on my surgical floor! My Head of Neurosurgery punching out people on my surgical floor!" Richard says angrily.

"Put the ice back on your hand," Addison tells Derek.

Derek growls. "My hand is fine!"

Richard looks at Derek, obviously angry. "Put the damn ice on your 2 million dollar a year hand!" Derek places the ice pack back on his hand. "Now, would someone tell me what the hell happened?"