Let It Be

Season 2, Episode 8:  Let It Be
Overall Episode Number:  17
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

In the 8th grade, my English class had to read Romeo & Juliet. Then for extra credit, Mrs. Snyder made us act out all the parts. Sal Scafarillo was Romeo. As fate would have it, I was Juliet. All the other girls were jealous, but I had a slightly different take. I told Mrs. Snyder that Juliet was an idiot. For starters, she falls for the one guy she knows she can't have. Then she blames fate for her own bad decision. Mrs. Snyder explained to me that when fate comes into play, choice sometimes goes out the window. At the ripe old age of 13, I was very clear. That love – like life – is about making choices. And fate has nothing to do with it. Everyone thinks it's so romantic. Romeo & Juliet. True love. How sad. If Juliet was stupid enough to fall for the enemy, drink a bottle of poison and go to sleep in a mausoleum... she deserved whatever she got.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

At the nurse's station, where an agitated guy named Weiss is talking to one of the nurses. "I've already told you I don't need an appointment. I'm not a patient; I am a friend from New York."

Derek sees the guy talking to the nurse, and he looks confused. "Weiss?"

Weiss turns around and he smiles at the neurosurgeon. "Derek! I've been looking for you."

/ / /

Addison is walking down an open hallway, meeting a blonde woman named Savannah, nicknamed Savvy. Addison opens up her arms, "Sav!"

"Oh, it's good to see you." Savvy told her.

The two hug tightly.

"Oh why didn't you tell me you were coming?" Addison asked as they finally stop hugging. "If I knew you were coming, I would've taken the day off."

"Well it was kinda last minute," Savvy replied.

Addison grew concerned. "Is everything okay? Are you all right?"

/ / /

Derek and Weiss are chatting in an empty staff/conference room, sitting at a table with cups of coffee.

"A month ago, her mother died. Ovarian cancer," Weiss told Derek.

Derek looked shocked. "Katherine died?" Weiss nodded. "I'm sorry."

"That's Savvy, she's... I mean, you know how close they were. I mean all she could think about was this breast and ovarian cancer gene." Weiss remarked.

"BRACA," Derek suggested.

/ / /

Addison is talking with Savvy in a similar room that Derek and Weiss were talking in. Addison is looking over Savvy's file. "A positive test result isn't the end of the world, Sav. It just means that you have a gene mutation that could..."

"I know what it is. I've talked to the genetic counselor. I've been to my gynecologist... and now I'm here." Savvy interrupted softly. Addison sits back. Savvy sits down across from her, pleading, "Addie, you're the best surgeon there is."

"True," Addison smiled. They both chuckled. "But this isn't surgical."

"Yes, it is." Savvy argued.

Addison shook her head. "No Sav, you don't understand. You don't have cancer."

"And I have no intention of getting it," Savvy implied.

Addison stares at her quietly, and then she shakes her head slightly. "So you want me..."