If Tomorrow Never Comes

Season 1, Episode 6:  If Tomorrow Never Comes
Overall Episode Number:  6
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

A couple hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. "Never leave that till tomorrow," he said, "which you can do today." This is the man who discovered electricity. You'd think more of us would listen to what he had to say. I don't know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I'd say it has a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure, fear of pain, fear of rejection. Sometimes, the fear is just of making a decision. Because, what if you're wrong? What if you're making a mistake you can't undo? Whatever it is we're afraid of, one thing holds true. That, by the time the pain of not doing a thing gets worse than the fear of doing it, it can feel like we're carrying around a giant tumor.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Meredith and Derek were walking into SGH. Mackenzie had already walked in so she could find a place to go and do her homework.

"Crap." Meredith stated.

Derek looked at her. "Crap?"

"Hi. I'm late." Meredith said.

"You're avoiding me." Derek told her.

Meredith nodded. "Yes, but also late."

"Okay, are we going to talk about this?" Derek asked.

Meredith shook her head. "No."

Derek continued. "About us and Bailey and what she saw?"

Meredith sighed. "I don't need to talk about it. I experienced it, naked."

"This is getting complicated." Derek stated.

Meredith looked at him briefly. "Complicated for me. I'm the intern sleeping with the attending. Bailey isn't speaking to me anymore."

"Not that that's a bad thing. If I was a better guy, I'd walk away." Derek told her.

"Yes, you would." Meredith agreed.

Derek raised an eyebrow. "Do you want me to be a better guy?"

Meredith nodded. "Yes."

They enter hospital. Derek pushes the elevator button.

Meredith sighed. "No. Crap. I'm late."

Meredith walks away.

Derek smiled. "Take your time. Think about it."

/ / /

Bailey looked at her interns. "When we walk in this door, you will maintain decorum. You will not laugh, vomit, or drop you jaw. Are we understood?"

Bailey opens the door and they all enter room 2111.

Izzie looked confused. "Why would we laugh?"

Alex smirked. "Oh, just you wait."

"Good morning, Miss Connors." Bailey said to the patient.

Miss Connors answered. "Good Morning."

Miss Connors is lying in bed with an extremely large tumor.

George looked at Cristina. "What is it?"

"Tumor." Cristina answered.

/ / /

And you thought I was speaking metaphorically.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /