As We Know It

Season 2, Episode 17: As We Know It
Overall Episode Number: 26
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

In hospitals they say you know. You know when you're going to die. Some doctors say it's a look patients get in their eyes. Some say there's a scent. The smell of death. Something. There's just some kind of sixth sense. When the great beyond is heading for you. You feel it coming. Whatever it is, it's creepy. Because if you know, what do you do about it? Forget about the fact you're scared out of your mind. If you knew this was your last day on Earth, how would you want to spend it?

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Addison is talking to Richard at the nurse's station. "Calm down."

Richard is understandably upset. "Calm down? I have an evacuated O.R. A bomb in a body cavity. A missing paramedic! An intern with her hand on the explosive! Two world class surgeons in harm's way!" George walks up behind them. "A man on a table who may bleed out at any moment unless we move the bomb from his chest! And my favorite resident in labor who you're now telling me refuses to push! Really, calm down? You really want to say to me calm down?"

"Okay don't calm down!" Addison said frantically.

"Dr. Bailey is scared, sir. It's a day to be scared." George told Richard.

Addison sighs. "She won't let me examine her but from what I can tell her contractions are 40 seconds apart and she's refusing to push. The baby could go into distress and if she doesn't come out of this and soon, then I'm gonna need an O.R. to do an emergency C-section."

Richard is still upset. "I can't give you an O.R. Addie! I don't have an O.R. to give. Can't you convince her to push? Bailey's rational."

"She's not Bailey right now! She's a woman in labor whose husband is in surgery next to a bomb." Addison reminded.

"So is yours."

Addison shook her head. "This is about Bailey. I need an O.R."

"I don't know what to tell you."

Addison looks despondent. "Look Richard, we have about an hour to change Bailey's mind and then I'm going to need you to get me an O.R. Build me an O.R. Find me a helicopter to fly me to any O.R in the city. Otherwise instead of having a baby, she'll be losing one."

Addison walks off. Richard gives George a look and George scurries off.

/ / /

In Bailey's room, where she's sitting on a chair, in pain. George is standing in front of her. Mackenzie is still on the couch.

"Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd just talked to the Chief. They're really worried about you. She's on the phone with Mercy West right now to see if they have any O.R.s available." George told her.

Bailey sighed. "I need someone to drive me home."

"They're talking about doing an emergency C-section."

Bailey shakes her head. "They can talk all they want. I'm not going to Mercy West. This baby is not coming out. I need a ride! I can't focus enough to drive myself," her voice cracks. "And Tucker... I need a ride."

"You could lose it! You know this!"

"I told you already. I'm not having this baby until tomorrow," Bailey said stubbornly.

George got a bit angry. "This baby could die before it's even born!"

Bailey yells, "Can you give me a ride home?"