The First Cut is the Deepest

Season 1, Episode 2:  The First Cut is the Deepest
Overall Episode Number:  2
Created by:  Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

"It's all about lines. The finish line at the end of residency, waiting in line for a chance at the operating table, and then, there's the most important line. The line separating you from the people you work with. It doesn't help to get too familiar. To make friends. You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world. Other people are far too messy. It's all about lines. Drawing lines in the sand, and praying like hell no one crosses them."

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

"You have reached the voicemail of Dr. Mark Sloan. Please leave a message."

"Hey Daddy, it's me. I know you're at work right now, but I just wanted to call you and tell you that I love you. I miss you and New York, but Seattle is cool. Call me back when you have a chance. I love you. Bye."

Mackenzie ended the voicemail message and closed her phone with a sigh. Mark promised her that he would call her every Wednesday morning before Mackenzie and Derek moved to Seattle. It conflicted with the time difference between Washington and New York, but Mark always went out of his way to call his daughter.

It was Wednesday, and Mark was supposed to call her an hour ago. Mackenzie thought he was just busy, but her mind thought of only one reason why he didn't call.

Mark forgot.

Derek walked in the trailer and saw the downcast look on Mackenzie's face. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

Mackenzie shoved her phone into her back pocket of her jeans. "He didn't call. He didn't call this morning like he promised."

Derek sighed and pulled her into his arms. "I'm sorry baby girl. I'm sure he'll call you back later." He consoled.

Anger pitted in Derek's stomach towards Mark, and it didn't have anything to do with the Addison incident. Mark made a promise to Mackenzie, and he was falling behind on it already. Derek decided he would leave Mark a very strong-worded voicemail later during his lunch break.

"Um, Papa? Not that I don't love the hug... but don't you have to be at work?" Mackenzie asked, pulling her father out of his thoughts.

Derek looked down at his daughter's face, and he gave her a smile. "You're absolutely right. We don't need to be late."

Mackenzie let a small smile grace her lips as Derek finished preparing for his shift. The pair left the trailer, got into Derek's truck and headed towards the hospital.

Mackenzie wondered how her day would go... considering Meredith didn't know that Mackenzie knew that Meredith slept with Derek.

What a day it'll be.

/ / /

After dropping Mackenzie off at the peds floor, Derek was taking the elevator back down to the first floor... where Meredith appeared on the other side.

Meredith stepped on the elevator, not even acknowledging Derek's presence.

Derek decided to say something. "Seattle has ferry boats."

"Yes." Meredith agreed.

"I didn't know that. I've been living here six weeks. I didn't know there were ferry boats." Derek stated.

Meredith nodded. "Seattle is surrounded by water on three sides."

"Hence the ferry boats. Now I have to like it here. I wasn't planning on liking it here. I'm from New York. Genetically engineered to dislike everywhere, except Manhattan. I have a thing for ferry boats." Derek explained.