The Self-Destruct Button

Season 1, Episode 7: The Self-Destruct Button
Overall Episode Number: 7
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

Ok, anyone who says you can sleep when you die, tell them to come talk to me after a few months as an intern. Of course, it's not just the job that keeps us up all night. I mean, if life's so hard already, why do we bring more trouble down on ourselves? What's up with the need to hit the self-destruct button?

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Mackenzie let out a cough as soon as Derek parked in the parking lot at Seattle Grace Hospital.

Derek looked over with concern. "Honey, are you okay? Are you sick?"

Derek tried not to be a doctor to his daughter right now, but he couldn't help it. A cough could mean anything.

Mackenzie sighed. "I'm fine, Papa. Really, I'm fine. You go into doctor mode every time I sneeze or cough."

"Because you never know what it could mean, Mackenzie." Derek argued.

"I'm pretty sure it's normal to cough every once in a while." Mackenzie told him.

Derek looked back at her. "Are you sure you're okay? Because the flu is going around the hospital, and I don't want you catching it."

"Yes, I'm okay. Will it make you feel better if I hang out with Chief Webber? I won't be able to get the flu if I'm with him all day." Mackenzie told her father.

Derek felt himself calm down just a little bit. "Yes. That'll make me feel much better."

Mackenzie nodded. "Okay then. I'll go hang out with Chief Webber today."

Derek kissed the top of her head. "Thank you, sweetheart. I love you."

"I love you too, Papa." Mackenzie said and she walked with him into SGH, deciding to take the stairs to the chief's office instead of the elevator.

Today was going to be hectic.

/ / /

George was with a young child, and her foot was twitching.

George saw the twitching. "Ahh. And you noticed her foot twitching? Come on, Jamie."

Jamie smiles and pointed at her foot. "My foot."

George smiled. "Oh, yeah. About three months ago?"

Mrs. Hayes nodded. "Just a little. We took her to County Hospital and she got the CT scan, which showed her..."

"Brain abnormality. Here, you can put it...And the twitching has gotten worse?" George asked as he kept Jamie occupied.

Mr. Hayes nodded. "A lot worse. They just don't have the proper equipment back home to figure out what's wrong."

George nodded. "You did a... you did a good thing."

Jamie giggled. "Show Mommy."

George nodded. "Yes, your mommy."

"Show Mommy and Daddy." Jamie babbled.

George looked at the Hayes'. "Ok, you did a good thing by coming all this way, Mr. and Mrs. Hayes. You sit tight Jamie, ok? I'm gonna bring in Dr. Shepherd to see you, ok."

Jamie smiled. "Shepherd."

George nodded. "Ok? Dr. Shepherd. Ok? He's the brain specialist."

Jamie pointed at her parents. "Mommy and Daddy."