Owner of a Lonely Heart

Season 2, Episode 11: Owner of a Lonely Heart
Overall Episode Number: 20
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

Forty years ago, the Beatles asked the world a simple question: they wanted to know where all the lonely people came from. My latest theory is that a great many of the lonely people come from hospitals. More precisely, the surgical wing of hospitals. As surgeons, we ignore our own needs so we can meet our patients' needs. We ignore our friends and families so we can save other people's friends and families. Which means that, at the end of the day, all we really have is ourselves. And nothing in this world can make you feel more alone than that.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

George and Meredith are walking together.

"So I was thinking, we... I mean, me and you, could maybe go to Joe's later to talk by ourselves..." George gets cut off by Derek and Addison arguing.

"Why should I move?" Derek challenged.

Addison gave her husband a pointed look. "You live on a campground."

Derek didn't back down. "It's 40 acres of the most beautiful land in Seattle."

"I didn't give up a Central Park brownstone to live in the forest," Addison countered.

Derek gave Addison a look. "Our house in the Hamptons had trees."

"They were The Hamptons," Addison pointed.

"Why are you pointing?" Derek asked.

Meredith looks agitated as they leave. She turns her attention to George. "I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

George shook his head. "Oh, nothing."

/ / /

Bailey and Cristina were at the ambulance bay.

"Constance Ferguson, 40, inmate at Henderson, swallowed a razor blade." A paramedic said.

Cristina raised an eyebrow. "Attempted suicide?"

"Attempted field trip. Worked too," Bailey stated.

The paramedic drags out a gurney with a shrieking woman.

"Field trip?" Cristina asked Bailey.

Bailey looked over the chart. "Says on her chart she was in solitary. This is her way out."

"Oh, is she crazy?"

Bailey sighed. "Only if you'd call a murderer crazy."

Constance was on the gurney with a smile. "Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talking about!"

/ / /

Mackenzie found George at one of the vending machines in the cafeteria. "I heard you're on the quints case."

George briefly looked at her with a smile. "I am. So are the others. How're you doing, Ellie? You look upset."

"I'm not upset; I'm frustrated. All Papa and Addison seem to do is fight. Fight at the trailer, fight on the car ride to and from the hospital... it's driving me nuts, George. They're fighting all the time, and it makes me feel like crap," Mackenzie answered.

George walked with Mackenzie to a table. They sat down, and George held her hands in his. "I'm sorry you're having to go through this, sweetheart. If there was anything I could do for you, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't understand what you're going through, but know I'm always here to talk if you need me. Even if you want to text me, that's okay. I'm your big brother, Ellie. It's my job to protect you, love you, and look out for you."

Mackenzie flung herself into his arms, which George gladly returned. "You're the best big brother ever."

"Honey, I'm the only big brother you've got," George commented.

"Which is why you're the best. Now don't ruin our moment."

/ / /

Izzie is frowning in the elevator. The door opens. Olivia is standing there and awkwardly enters. She exhales as the door closes.

"I had no idea that you and Alex were a couple. It's just... I was having a bad day and it was good to have someone... to talk to, I mean, not good to... Alex really is good. I mean, he's good in the way he's a good person, good. Not the other kind of good. You know, 'good in bed' good. Which he is, as I'm sure you know. But..." Olivia managed.

Izzie is stony-faced throughout this conversation. The lift reaches the fourth floor and Izzie leaves.

Olivia sighed. "Okay. Well, bye."

/ / /

Mackenzie sighed as she sat in the back of Derek's truck, trying to block out his and Addison's arguing. The topic of discussion: Derek's trailer or a house/apartment.

"I'm just saying... I don't think a trailer is an appropriate home for Mackenzie," Addison said.

Derek briefly looked at Addison, and then put his attention on the road. "What did I say, hmm? My daughter is not being dragged into the middle of our arguments!"

"Well, this concerns her, Derek. She needs a bit of normalcy and stability — a trailer gives her none of that!"

Mackenzie sat up and stared out the window. They continued to argue about what was best for her, and she'd finally had enough. "If you two are that concerned about me, why not just ask me what I want?! It'd save you one less argument."

Addison became quiet and meek. Derek parked the truck close to the trailer, and looked over his shoulder at his daughter. "Honey..."

"You know what I want? I want the both of you to go one day — just one day — with no arguments. You're arguing all the time; and most of your arguments are about me. Your constant arguing is going to give me a migraine, because I can't take much more of this. Is it too much of me to ask for you two to forget what happened for one day and act like you still love each other? Just one day of peace is all I want." Mackenzie stated.

Derek reached his arm towards his daughter, taking one of her hands in his. "Baby, you know we love you so much. That's why we fight about you; we just want what's best for you. But we have different views about what's considered best for you."

Mackenzie sighed. "Well, the fighting has to come to a minimum, Papa. It's driving me crazy, and I can't live like this anymore."

Derek sighed. "You shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this, Mack. You're still a child."

"I'm a child who's watching her family fall apart all over again. I'm not going to just sit and watch as you two waste away whatever's left of your shambled marriage. I'm saying this because I can't do this anymore. I can't listen to your arguments and your fighting anymore. It's not healthy for any of us."

/ / /

Four hundred years ago, another well-known English guy had an opinion about being alone. John Donne. He thought we were never alone. Of course it was fancier when he said it. No man is an island entire unto himself. Boil down that island talk and he just meant that all anyone needs is someone to step in and let us know we're not alone. And who's to say that someone can't have four legs. Someone to play with, or run around with, or just hang out.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

1192 words

Next Update: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer

*Again, I'm sorry for the short chapter. I just couldn't find enough scenes for Mackenzie to be in. I hope you guys still enjoyed it.*

Published: 2/26/2021