Save Me

Season 1, Episode 8: Save Me
Overall Episode Number: 8
Created by: Shonda Rhimes

/ / /

You know how when you were a kid and you believed in fairy tales? That fantasy of what your life would be. White dress, Prince Charming, Who'd carry you away to a castle on a hill. You'd lie in bed at night and close your eyes, and you had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close, you could taste them. But eventually, you grow up. One day you open your eyes, and the fairy tale disappears. Most people turn to the things and people they can trust. But the thing is, it's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely. Cause almost everyone still has that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day they'll open their eyes and it will all come true.

- Meredith Grey

/ / /

Mackenzie woke up from her spot on Meredith's couch.

Ever since she got discharged from the hospital last week, Derek had been staying at Meredith's house every single day. Not that Mackenzie minded; it meant she got to spend more time with Izzie and George.

Today, Mackenzie was supposed to meet with Burke and get her medications for her asthma. She'd been taking her antibiotic steroids all week long like she was supposed to.

Mackenzie took her clothes for the day and walked upstairs with them, completely unseen by Izzie or George. She walked into the bathroom and got changed, walking back downstairs.

Mackenzie placed her dirty clothes in a laundry bag and walked into the kitchen. George was eating a cupcake. Mackenzie decided to eat one too.

"Morning." She greeted as she took a seat next to George at the island.

"Morning." Izzie and George chorused.

"How'd you sleep last night?" George asked through a mouthful of cupcake.

Mackenzie made a face. "One, it's disgusting to talk with your mouth full. Two, I slept just fine. Mer's couch is comfy. Like... really comfy."

Izzie sighed as she looked at all her cupcakes. "Eight hours, 16 ounces of chocolate, and 32 cupcakes, and they still don't taste right."

George talked with his mouth full of cupcake. "No, these are good. Martha Stewart would be proud."

Izzie snorted. "Yeah, look where it got her."

Mackenzie bit into her cupcake with a smile. She finished chewing, swallowed her bite of food and looked at Izzie. "Izzie Stevens, you can bake. These cupcakes are amazing!"

Izzie shook her head. "There's something missing, some specific ingredient. Why can't I remember?"

"Look, just call her. Call your mother and ask." George told her.

"I don't want to call my mother." Izzie stated.

Mackenzie said nothing about it and she continued to eat her cupcake.

Derek and Meredith entered the kitchen.

Derek smiled. "Good morning."

George nodded. "Hey. You guys want a cupcake?"

"Oh, no." Derek declined.

George shrugged. "Izzie made them."

"You know, I like it here. You said so yourself, you liked having your things around, sleeping in your own bed." Derek said as he got cereal and a bowl out.

"You're like a health nut, aren't ya? You eat muesli every morning." George observed.

Derek looked at George. "No, I don't."