19

Chapter 19 [unedited]

"Hello, brother." Elijah's rare smirk caught me and Nik off guard as we tried to enjoy a meal together in his living room before getting back to planning how to get Niklaus' mother back from Stefan. "I hear you're in a bit of a tight situation." He spoke with a little head tilt.

I sighed a bit and shook my head. "Oh don't be an ass Eli. And you," I grabbed ahold of Nik's hand as he looked like he was about to pop a vein in his neck, "calm yourself. We have a whole lifetime ahead of us for you two to be at each other's throats, for now let's focus on the easily killable ones." He reluctantly relaxed back into his seat before pulling me into his lap, allowing me to finish off the food he didn't want.

"Yes, Elijah. I do have a bit of a problem, one that actually may concern you a little more than it concerns me to be honest." He paused, taking in Elijah's look of slight confusion. "I assume Ezra didn't spill all the dirty little details then did he?" Rolling my eyes I slapped his arms that sat around my waist at his condescending tone.

"No, I suppose he didn't. Where is Ezra by the way? You didn't kill him did you?" He moved to sit in an armchair not too far from the sofa me and Nik were seated on.

"Like I would let him hurt Ezra." I scoffed, speaking up. Elijah smiled a bit at me, which I returned. "He's trying to help Ethan master his sense of smell. He's been learning everything else quite fast, " Elijah raised an eyebrow, "but he needed a vampire to help him with that. You guys' sense of smell is different from mine." He let out a small 'ahh'.

"So, what exactly happened after I left?"

Nik explained everything, from me and Rebekah to Mikael's death. After Mikael's death we quickly got a call from Stefan, it seemed he wanted a little bit of leverage over Nik after everything that had happened. He took all of the coffins that contained their family members, and essentially held them hostage. Nik had already sent all of his hybrids out of town and allowed Stefan and Damon a bit of time to come up with their next move, which happened to be a meeting to discuss a deal. There is no doubt in my mind that the Salvatore's deal involves the originals and all associates leaving Mystic Falls forever, as well as leaving Elena alone in the process.

"Well, that certainly is something." Elijah was shocked to say the least. "How can I help?"

Ezra walked in, stopping the conversation for the time being when I jumped off Nik's lap to give him a hug. "Elijah, you got here quick." They hugged slightly, leaving Nik to nod while clenching his fist slightly. "Emmaline, I was wondering if you ever got that book I sent over?"

"Oh, yeah! Did you ever find out how long ago it dates to?" The thick leather bound book he was referring to had seemed to have some sort of magical properties that no one else seemed to be able to touch except for me.

"No, but I assume it had to be some time after," He paused, clearing his throat a bit. "You know, they seem a bit busy, why don't we go to the grill or something to discuss this in more detail, yes?" My eyes widened a bit, and nodded.

I walked over to Nik, giving him a quick kiss and telling him and Elijah goodbye, to which I received a small reaction from the two brothers that seemed to be sizing each other up. Ezra waited for me patiently to grab my jacket, before escorting me out and to the grill.

*******************************************************

"So? What do you know?" I asked Ezra after sitting down at a booth and ordering something to drink.

"I didn't find anything specific about who made it or even what it is." I sighed, about to say something until he cut me off. "But I did find out that the language on the front, from what I can tell, is one of three languages that are very similar, all of which haven't been used in over about 3 thousand years, and that's being generous." My eyes widened.