3

{Chapter 3 - Hello And Goodbye}

"I'm so sorry, for everything." Tears had found themselves to my eyes again, as I found myself in memories of the past.

Elijah pulled me into a hug once more. "How many times do I have to tell you Emmaline, you don't have to be sorry for anything." He let go and wiped the tears from my face. "I'm the one who should be sorry, I couldn't stop him. He found out and it's my fault." Elijah was one of two people who knew even half of the story.
"No, no Elijah! It wasn't your fault! None of it was." I could tell he still wasn't convinced, as he looked down at his feet. "Hey! Look at me." He did as I said, looking me in the eyes. "It is not your fault. No one could've known what Mikael was planning. No one could've stopped it." I felt more tears welling up in my eyes as I remembered that night, the worst night of my life.
He nodded and gave me a weak smile before wrapping his arm around my waist and began to escort me out of the house, that I might just come back to and clean up. It would make a nice little hideaway.
Elijah and I had little chance to catch up, but we did chat about some things while we headed on our way back to Mystic Falls. I had found out that the abandoned place was just outside the town, and decided to walk back, dragging Elijah with me.
He told me that him and Nik had another falling out. After Katerina had escaped, not even he knew I had sold them out, Nik had lost some of the trust he had for him, much like me. Slowly, this part I knew, they had grown apart, and Nik and his ways began to push everyone away. Eventually Elijah left before he could be put into a dead like sleep from the silver daggers Nik had kept close to him just in case anyone else in his family decided to disappoint him.
After I faked my death, with the help of Elijah and Ezra, Nik became worse. His paranoia turned to complete hatred for anything and everything, including his brother. Everything dark about him had become darker, and everything pure about him vanished. He had gone insane.
Once it came out that I was actually still alive, things got even worse. The fact that someone he believed would never leave him, someone who he believed after all of his years of suffering would never bring him any pain, had abandoned him, just like everyone else. He had his suspicions that other people were involved, and that was when his relationship with Elijah had completely disappeared.
Elijah had told me his plan to use Elena to draw Nik out. He said the sacrifice that would rid Nik of a curse placed on him around the time they were all still human, before they were only known as the ruthless originals, was the only thing that would get him to come out.
Nik had told me the story of how they became vampires, and about his curse. One night when his family was all still human, living in fear of the creatures now called werewolves, he had taken their youngest brother Henrik out to see the wolves turn on the night of the full moon instead of hiding in the caves with the rest. A wolf had found them and killed Henrik. Their mother, who was a witch, found a way to protect them, casting a spell to keep her family alive, stronger than the wolves, because she couldn't bare to lose anymore of her family to the beasts that they lived among. The first vampires were born, though barely anyone knows they are a family.
Later, after Nik's first kill as a vampire, they discovered something about him. He had changed into a wolf. Magic had made him a vampire, but he was born a wolf because of an affair their mother had with another man in the village. That set their father, Mikael, into a blind rage. The mother, Esther, cast a curse onto Nik, making his werewolf side dormant. Both the parents had pushed Nik away, after years of abuse, and is one of the reasons he is the way he is today.
The curse could be lifted however, by the sacrifice of a werewolf, a vampire, and a Petrova doppelganger over the moonstone. They had made up a fake curse, the sun and the moon curse, to ensure that all of the ingredients to the little spell would one day be found. Nik had become obsessed with finding a way to break the curse, so that he could sire a line of hybrids, like him, that would be loyal no matter what. When we were together, it was okay because he had someone else he could depend on, but after I betrayed him Elijah told me he lost it. The only thing he wanted to do, his only focus was to break the curse.
Elijah had skipped over the reason he wanted to draw Nik out, but I knew he wanted to kill him. Elijah thought Nik had thrown the daggered bodies of his siblings into the ocean, and wanted revenge. I, however, knew he kept them with him, waiting for the right day to awaken them, but I couldn't tell him that. This was not my battle, and these were not my secrets. Though I knew that if push came to shove, I would protect Nik, just like I always had and always will do.
We had come to the Mystic Falls sign, and had to go our separate ways, I stopped him before he had a chance to speed off, giving him one last hug before heading to the Salvatore Boarding house.