11

{Chapter 11 - Road Trips And Secrets}

  Me and Nik were in the front seat of a black range rover, Stefan was sulking in the back, I couldn't believe it, we were only a couple of hours into our road trip and someone was already being a buzz kill. I was staring out the window thinking about Damon. I couldn't believe I didn't know he was bit by a werewolf, I couldn't believe I was here right now either, so I guess things seem to just happen in a flash these days. I was thinking about the look on his face when I saw him at the grill, his voice, everything about it told me he felt betrayed, and I just walked away. I didn't even look back to flash a smile or a wink, I just walked away. He probably hates me, and it's probably for the best, people have a habit to get hurt when they are around me. 

 I was brought back into the real world when I heard Niklaus' voice. "I can't believe you helped him." He referred back to the fact that instead of watching one of my oldest friends be put under the spell of an original dagger, I warned Elijah just in time so that he could escape Niklaus' grasp. I couldn't bare to see him all grey and vein-y, like he was dead, just because Nik had decided to use the dagger and white oak ash to put him into a temporary sleep when Nik threw a temper tantrum.

 "Well believe it. He was one of my best friends and I wasn't going to stand by and watch him get hurt." He sighed, obviously annoyed with the attitude I was giving off. We hadn't talked much since the beginning of this trip, and I wasn't sure whether to be happy or upset about it. On one hand, It was amazing to be dodging all of the questions I knew he planned to bring up sooner or later. On the other, being this close to him after all this time and being in silence because of pain and thoughts was causing emotions I didn't want to see rise up. I had realized a long time ago I would never stop loving him, but when you love someone, you don't hurt them, you don't give them pain by leaving them for something else. I knew I would have to keep my emotions in check, especially now that we were on this road trip across the country, no one else was getting hurt because of me.

 "Still, even if he was your friend, he was my brother. If anyone has any right over him being daggered or not it's-" I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I cut him off with a growl before he finished that sentence. My growl caused Stefan to jump in the back, probably still afraid after everything that has happened with me over the last couple of days.

"Klaus." My voice was dangerously low, he gulped not only hearing the venom in my voice but the fact that I called him Klaus. I never called him Klaus unless I was angry to the point I was about to rip one of his limbs off, I didn't even call him Klaus after he started chasing me, it was always Niklaus, and now for some reason Nik. "If you finish that sentence," I continued. "I swear on Ezra's life that I will rip out your spine and shove it so far up your ass it might just crack back into place." He knew how I felt about the daggers, he also knew that I never break my promises, and the fact that I felt the need to swear on my families life gave him an idea how serious I was.

 He was dead silent, and in the back I could here Stefan moving around. As I stared at Nik still completely terrified of what I was capable after this long, I felt Stefan's arm on the back of my seat. I felt his other hand on my shoulder as his head went behind mine, causing me to turn around to face him. "Hey, so I know that you and Damon are close but, um... Can we be best friends?" I almost laughed out loud at the seriousness in his voice. Nik looked like he was about to flip, probably annoyed that Stefan knew one of the only three people in this world that could make him legitimately scared. 

 I turned around a little bit more and looked at his baby face before answering. "Well, even though Damon is not my only best friend," Stefan began to look the slightest bit defeated, for both his and his brothers sake. "I guess, seeing as how your the only other person around," Now it was Nik's turn to look defeated, and the slightest bit annoyed. "You'll have to do for now." I finally answered after all the grunts I heard throughout the whole time I spoke.