17

Chapter 17 [unedited]

 To be completely honest, I hadn't been paying much attention to anything the Salvatores had been up to, so when I heard Mikael was dead I didn't know what to believe.

 "Rose? Rose? Emmaline!" The world stopped spinning for a few moments as I focused on Nik's voice. 

 "I need to go." I heard him start to protest, but payed no attention to it as I dropped my phone, before speeding out of the house and straight to the Salvatore Boarding house and listening in out of sight.

 "So now what? We just wait for you to tell us your plan that is gonna make Klaus magically disappear from our lives?" Of course Damon would have a role in this.

 "If your trying to get me to show you the white oak stake than I'm sorry, but holding onto it is my insurance that you lot won't do anything stupid." As soon as I heard his voice my whole body ran cold. I couldn't focus, tears started to blind my vision and all I could hear was his voice that night. Everything he said was true, I couldn't protect her, I couldn't protect any of them. My whole life thrown away in one single moment, because of him. I sped as well as I could somewhere deep into the woods, trying to find my way back home. I had to get away from him. I had to get home.

You are nothing to them 

I realized then that I wasn't breathing.

A stupid little girl that couldn't even protect her family

I barely missed a tree, my shattered heart pounding faster than I thought was possible. Her face, it was everywhere. Blood. Her blood all over my hands.

 This is your fault

This is my fault. It's all my fault. I'm sorry. Please, please come back.

You're a freak, an abomination. More than that bastard you used to lie with at night.

You should've ran while you had the chance, because now I'm going to kill her as you watch, right before moving onto you. And I'm going to have fun with this.

"Emmaline!" Ezra was in front of me, yelling my name over and over, but all I could hear was her screaming my name. Why couldn't I save her? "Emmaline! You need to calm down little one." I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it.

 Tears were streaming down my face, I heard a scream, my scream. I could feel the liquified onyx rushing through my system, burning my body from the inside out. I deserve this. Why couldn't it have been me? Ezra's arms were wrapped around me, I could hear him whispering in my ear, that everything would be okay soon, but I don't think it ever would be again.

 I just wished I could've been stronger. There was a blanket on top of me, and I realized I had somehow made it home. My vision began to clear, and I could feel my heart beating slower and slower as a result of the onyx. I wonder how the others were doing? Were they still alive?

"Emmaline?" I heard Ezra clearly. "What happened?"

 I almost couldn't say it, but I somehow managed. "Mikael," His arms tensed, and wrapped tighter around me. "He's here Ezra. I heard him." Tears started down my face again.

 "It's okay little one" was all he was able to get out.

"I heard him, he's here." I almost couldn't speak because of the sobs coming out of my throat.

"Shh, little one. It'll be okay."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 As soon as Rebekah came home, Ezra grabbed her and ran out of the house. I think he was afraid I would start up again.