5

{Chapter 5 - Oak Trees And Middle Names}

As I stood silently in front of the oak tree, Ethan stood ten feet behind me giving me space, which I was incredibly grateful for. We left after about twenty minutes of me standing there lost in my own thoughts, and went back to Rousseau's. As Ethan was newly turned, I wasn't sure how much control he had, or how long Ezra worked with him and on what. When we walked through the bar, however, he stiffened next to me. I linked my arm with his, hopefully giving him a little bit of support. He squeezed my arm as we walked by a group of girls laughing at a table, drunk off their asses. I ended up rushing him to the bar and holding him up, I don't think he had been like this long, but with me by his side he slowly calmed down and decreased his grip on my arm.

Marcel noticed us sit down and walked over to sit beside me. "Hey, Em." He looked over at Ethan, staring him down making Ethan shift in his seat a little bit, already uncomfortable. "So, I see you found yourself a vampire that I don't recognize." His eyes met mine,, silently asking who he was.

"Yeah, Ezra sent him to me, he's newly turned and I'm taking care of him for the time being." Marcel vaguely knew who Ezra was, as I had mentioned him before. "His name is Ethan, Ethan, this is Marcel, my friend." Marcel's lips curled up slightly when I called him a friend. Anyone who knew the tiniest bit about me knew how much it took to call someone a friend.

"Hey." Ethan said, shaking his hand. He was a lot less formal with me, though I believe that had something to do with the fact that I scared the living daylights out of him, first impressions really do matter.

"Hi. Now I do want to warn you," He paused for dramatic affect, "She's super crazy, scary, and can get kind of annoying. Also, don't piss her off, she'll eat you alive."

"Marcel!" He laughed at me, and I almost slapped him. "He's already scared of me enough as it is!" The two men laughed.

"Just saying! Seriously though, watch out." I slapped his arm while Ethan muttered out a "Yes, sir." I smiled at him.

Ordering a bourbon from Camille, the blonde bartender I believed Marcel had a crush on, all four of us sat and talked for a while, laughing at everything. Marcel couldn't stop smiling like an idiot and I decided it was time for us to leave. After saying goodbye, Ethan and I went to a shop, because as it turns out, I was going to tonight's party.

We looked through the suits for an hour trying to find something for Ethan to wear before finding a dark blue suit that matched with the silky dark blue dress I had gotten while shopping for Caroline. Once I sent Ethan into the dressing room to try it on, my mind wandered to why Marcel really throws these parties every year.

As if on cue, Ethan's voice rang out through the tiny little shop. "Do you know why he throws these things? From what I've heard it happens every year." He came out of the dressing room, letting me adjust the jacket to see if it needed to be altered.

I stood, holding onto the front of his jacket for a moment before answering simply. "Yes." He stood, waiting for me to continue. "They're for me," he took my hands in his. "Someone that was very important to me a long time ago died on this day. Marcel knows that, and now every year, when I come to visit, he throws a party in her honor, although no one actually knows it's for her." Tears started forming in my eyes before I wiped them away with the back of my hand.

On instinct I started combing my fingers through his hair, and he not only let me, but leaned into my hand. I smiled, I hadn't known him for very long, and already I was comfortable with him just as he was me. He was definitely one of the only things keeping me alive today.

"If you don't mind my prying Miss Rosewood," he paused, "but is that where we were today? That big oak tree, that was a marker wasn't it?" I nodded, not really having the energy to do much else.