16

Chapter 16 [unedited]

I ended up back at the house later that night, naked, dried tears, and a little muddy. I may have transformed into a wolf for about an hour, perks of lycanthropy I guess.

I'm not like most wolves, perks of being a hybrid, I can change at will much like Nik, only for me it takes seconds and doesn't hurt very much. Over the years I've mastered all of the skills I've been "blessed" with.

Walking in, all the lights were off, except the light in the mini library that was set up just before Ezra and Rebekah started to stay here. I never really liked Mystic Falls much, New Orleans was always my favorite place to stay, so I didn't do much with my home here.

Ezra was sitting in an armchair in the library. He looked up when he heard me walk in, immediately standing up, he appeared in front of me. He took off his coat jacket and handed it to me, helping me put it on. He tried to wipe my face of its dirt and tear stains, but was unsuccessful.

  "Emmaline?" Ezra's voice sounded through my ears but all I could hear was the screams of Violetta. I had been holding everything in, but I couldn't hold it any longer. Everything I've ever felt came rushing back to me at once.

I left them.

I couldn't save her.

They hate me.

I hate myself.

Numbness swirled inside of me, pain and sadness. I wished I was a vampire, then I could have the choice not to feel. They don't know how good they have it, if I had that option I would take it in a heartbeat. But I couldn't, I had to take every bit of pain this world threw at me.

"Emmaline." He said it with more force this time, bringing me back to earth.

"Huh?" My voice sounded strange, even to me. Ezra's eyes widened and he let out a puff of air, pulling me into a hug. In his arms was always one of the only places I felt safe, him and the Mikaelson's, mostly Nik. The thought of them, of being safe in Nik's arms had me in tears again. Ezra picked me up, bridal style, and carried me to the living room, grabbing something from the couch. We ended up back in the library. He sat down in the chair he was in earlier, this time with me in his lap, threw a blanket over me and grabbed a book. I always loved it when he read to me, to just fall asleep listening to the sound of his voice.

"MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table. I stood upon the hearth-rug and picked up the stick which our visitor had left behind him the night before. It-"

"Ezra? Ezra have you-" Rebekah cut herself off, I'm assuming when she saw me. I was too tired to move, just lie there with my face in Ezra's chest. "What happened?" Her voice wavered in the slightest.

I felt Ezra look up, though I didn't hear anything, I knew they were communicating. She stood next to us silently. Her breathing became heavy, and she let out a shaky breath. "Rebekah?" Ezra's voice broke the silence.

She came around to the other side where I could see her, she crouched down. Grabbing my hands, tears began streaming down her face. I never let others see this side of me. Only Nik and Ezra ever truly saw how broken I was. "Anna?" I sat still, not even moving my eyes. "Anna? Please look at me." Her voice sounded as broken as I felt. "You don't need to say anything, or even look at me but," She paused a moment, "I just, I'm so sorry." I finally met her eye and saw nothing but truth. "I know I've been a bitch, but you need to understand, I was just afraid. I missed you so much, mourned you, and then you show up and I find out you could've at least told us you were still breathing. It still makes me mad when I think about it, but I also know that I don't know the whole story. I won't be able to forgive you just yet but, I'll try. I miss us, almost as much as I still love you," She paused again, this time thinking over something, "Sister." She smiled at me and wiped away fresh tears that fell. Even though I couldn't say it, even though I had no energy to hug her, I loved her too, more than she will ever know.